Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Georgia

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Hello from Georgia

I've been lurking for awhile, reading up on various projects and techniques, and thought it time to step out.

I got started early this year, although technically my first project was a dress-up armoire that I hacked together in the fall. Couldn't figure out how to put hinges in a closet door, and that first foray with a new router has turned into a huge investment in my time and money.

I didn't see a place in my profile to list what my shop is like, or what my equipment breakdown is, so I'll catalog it a little here. I'm pigeonholed in a 12x12 shed in my backyard, with no permanent power. This has been the summer of sweat. I have about 80% of the Ryobi One+ line, which the fan and radio keep me cooler and more entertained than I normally would be. I have a Craftsman 17543 router mounted in a DIY table, a Craftsman 21829 that sees plenty of use. A Hitachi C10FCE2 handles the miter duty, while a AP1300 turns the trick for planing. My most recent big purchase is a Ridgid DP15501 for getting accurate holes. My current dust collection is a vacuum and a dust separator.

I tend to ask a ton of questions, and I always have multiple projects going on at once. With three kids under five and a commute that sees my work day stretch into thirteen hours, I don't always get things done as fast as I would like. I'm currently building a UTS for the shop, and I have about 10 gifts I need to make for Christmas staring me in the face.

If anyone is interested in how I work in such a small space (BTW - I share it with the junk from the house too) and what I've worked on, just ask. I have a blog that's listed as my homepage if you're interested.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    welcome Chris and we love pictures. There is a section here for shop tours so feel free to post pictures of your shop. Oh yea one more thing we love pictures.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Plainwell, Michigan
    Thanks for stepping out of lurker status Chris, good to have you as member status As Don said post pics of your shop in the shop tours, you most likely have some great set up ideas for others And ask away, we all do, lots of knowledge here for the asking

Santa Claus, In
    Welcome Chris and throw up some shop pictures.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Welcome Chris
    Would love to see pictures of the shop and projects.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I'll throw some older ones up in a bit, but I'll need to clear some dead weight out before some fresh ones can be taken. I'll explain in the thread.

new york city burbs
    hi from NY,

(for the record, never have been or had any relatives in the mccoy family)

GTA Ontario Canada
    Welcome to the family Chris. Hope you enjoy your stay. You can also put your blog link in your signature panel if you like.

Glad you came out of the dark

Delton, Michigan
    welcome chris, we had a member here some time back with the same last name.. i believe he was in arkansas..might be a relative and your blood family as well and just one of the forum family
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Welcome Chris!
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...