Beginner Lessons Learned

Hi all:

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope here is okay. I thought that for the beginners among us who are lurking in the background and reluctant to say much fearing to appear dumb, it might be useful to share some lessons learned over these last few days.

First a couple of photos. Sawdust, to prove I actually did something, and a first pathetic little soon-to-be table (it's missing its plywood top) for infeed and outfeed, so I don't have to keep using my garden cart. :rofl:

1stsawdust.jpg

1stproj.jpg

1. If you don't feel comfortable or safe using a tool, then don't use it. Safety first. (I stopped using the circular saw and moved to the miter saw--and bought a smaller blade CS.) Love the MS.

2. Even if you're just nailing, wear hearing protection (and eye protection). I thought I'd blow out my eardrums with the first couple of blows of a hammer. Yes, gentlemen I know screws are superior, but I did want to feel the hammer.

3. Clamps clamps and more clamps. I've discovered that wood has a diabolical way of moving around while you're trying to fasten it. So use lots of clamps when possible. (It's usually possible)

4. Working outside is great and cuts down on the dust in your face.

5. Just do it. All the reading and watching and calculations in the world are no substitute for actually woodworking. Everyone starts somewhere, so just jump in!

I hope this helped someone,
Cynthia :thumb::wave::thumb:

Glad ya made some saw dust. But hearing protection is a must please get some and use it, take it from someone who didn't and now regrets it. As for safety, the miter saw is better for what your doing. My circular saw get used for breaking down sheet goods and little else.

I will second what Jay said. Your table aint pathetic. Oh and dont worry about coming across dumb, i did at first but got used to the feeling now i dont bother worrying about it.

One thing you showed in your saw was the setting being off 90 degrees.

A word of caution here. Every machine you buy, before you use it in a project, play with it and make some cuts on scrap lumber. In the process make sure its set up right. There are adjustments on most tools that need to be done.

Example : Chisels need sharpening. A table saw in many cases needs the table set to parallel with the blade and the stops for the tilt set to make sure it comes back to 90 and goes to 45. Even then on the TS use a bevel gauge or protractor. Chop saws as you have discovered have a bunch of settings.

One thing when it comes to hammering. If you hammer something in the air with no support behind the piece you are hammering into, it will take more force and longer to get the nail in than if you have something behind it. Try do it on the floor in sub assemblies. Try this take a 2x4 and put it across another. Hammer a nail in while it lies on the ground and then do it with the 2x4 standing up in fresh air. You see what i mean.

I dont see anything wrong with your bench at all. You sure this is your first one?;):):thumb:

Glad you posted your experiences Cynthia.:thumb::thumb:

Good for you, Cynthia. :thumb: All the reading and studying doesn't quite compare to actually getting a bit dirty, huh? And if you happen to make a few mistakes along the way, it's still part of the learning process. Your table looks just fine, and should work great for its intended purpose.

Onward and upward

Cynthia - You broke the ice....now there's no stopping. There are so many special interests in this hobby that everyone eventually finds a home base (furniture, wood lathe, ornamental, pen-turning, toys, musical instruments, etc.) where things seem to work the best. Your table is looking good and well under way. You no doubt are already enjoying the pleasure we all have of looking at a project completed with your own hands. Please keep posting the pictures of your progress.

table is fine, but you can keep the leaves we dont need them to be falling yet:) dont let the circular saw scare yu away for ever it has its uses and you just need to understand the differnt techniques of each tool they are all not created equal:) so keep going forward cynthia:):thumb:

Hi all:

reluctant to say much fearing to appear dumb,View attachment 48846

:

there are no dumb questions.
what there is, is 1000's of years of woodworking experience on this board covering every single aspect of woodworking, and most here will share that experience if you just ask for it.

everyone who woodworks started it one day and every one of us go through similar problems.

you are on your way to a very addicting hobby. I had a fear of blades for 49 years, I started woodworking after 50.
as your hobby grows, youll grow with it........please dont ever feel you shouldnt ask or post up some work.

Thanks so much for all the kind words.

One question (or 2): How small of a piece can you slice off a board on a miter saw? 1"? 1/2"? Same question for the table saw? I mean does the saw explode or something if the pieces are too small?:eek:

And then there were 2:

2feedtables.jpg

The 2nd one is slightly different than the first one. I made a few *different* mistakes on this one. At least I'm consistent about being inconsistent. :rofl:

If you are making small slices, it's probably worth looking into making a cross cut sled for your table saw. Miter saws and small pieces don't play all that nicely together...

Thanks so much for all the kind words.

One question (or 2): How small of a piece can you slice off a board on a miter saw? 1"? 1/2"? Same question for the table saw? I mean does the saw explode or something if the pieces are too small?:eek:

And then there were 2:

View attachment 48902

The 2nd one is slightly different than the first one. I made a few *different* mistakes on this one. At least I'm consistent about being inconsistent. :rofl:

ok on the mitre saw you can shave off less than sixteenth if the final piece is proper;ly held with a clamp or hand pressure,, NEVER cross your arm to cut A PIECE ON THE MITRE SAW..another words always keep your off hand clear of the cuttin path..

the table saw is basically the same thing,, you need to make sure your properly holding the piece being cut,, on a crosscut you can shave a very small amount off with the mitre gauge backing it up,, on ripping try to not rip small rips between the fence and the blade try to have them be on the other side not between the fence and blade..

NEVER cross your arm to cut A PIECE ON THE MITRE SAW..another words always keep your off hand clear of the cuttin path..

A good friend of mine did not heed that advice and almost cut his arm off.... I've got the pics, and they are gruesome. Do not assume the miter saw is a benign piece of equipment...

How did I miss this thread yesterday??? It just showed up in new posts after the 6pm posts today???

Anyway, Great to get your hands dirty, eh? As said, there is book learning and there is doing and both are important. Especially when you are using tools designed to cut things.

Glad you are getting the feel for it and congrats on the progress so far. Glad to see it and enjoy hearing about it; new and old, complex and simple, its all fun.

If you are making small slices, it's probably worth looking into making a cross cut sled for your table saw. Miter saws and small pieces don't play all that nicely together...

First, thanks Brent and Larry (and Glenn). I promise I'll be really really careful. Before I make any cuts, I go through a mental checklist which I guess is second nature to most of you: ear protection, eye protection, dust protection, is there anything at my feet that I'm going to trip on, where are the dogs, where is the blade, is my workpiece properly held down with the vise, where is the blade, where are my hands. GO.

Re: crosscut sleds. Yes, I think I'm gonna need one of those. I think the hardest part for me will be cutting the pieces to fit perfectly in the slots on the table--with no play, but not so tight that they don't slide.

One sled question. I understand the principle, but how big do you make it? I mean you're limited, right, to dimensions of relatively small pieces that fit inside the sled, right? No one makes a sled that 100" X 100" right?

Thanks all, and Carol, you let me know where you're up here on Vancouver Island, okay? :wave::thumb:

I'll take some pictures of my sled tomorrow. I swear I use it for probably 90% of the crosscuts I make on my tablesaw.

There's lots of articles out there on making them, and it's not that tough. The slots your saw are probably 3/4" and they are easy enough to make by just ripping some strips off of a 3/4" board...

Glad ya made some saw dust. But hearing protection is a must please get some and use it, take it from someone who didn't and now regrets it. As for safety, the miter saw is better for what your doing. My circular saw get used for breaking down sheet goods and little else.

Huh what did you say? speak up. :rofl::rofl: geez no truer words were spoken. hearing protection and proper mask for all the dust that you can't see and breath in.