Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vanity table in the works part 1 ( just added update August 2 2011 finished at last)

GTA Ontario Canada

Vanity table in the works part 1 ( just added update August 2 2011 finished at last)

So when Allen made the vanity table for a young girl and posted his build here, I was quiet inspired by it.

My good buddy from Scouting days has a young daughter and her birthday was coming up so i thought i would build her one as a gift. I also feel given she is 1 girl in a 3 kid house that she deserves a little treat. The boys in that house are football crazy and she often has to spend hours at the field when she really aint interested ( she told me on the side).

So being Sketchup challenged i used Allens pictures to get a basic plan going. Not being totally comfortable with the hinged lid Allen chose i decided to turn this into quiet a project for myself. Its now a little over due already but its getting there and hey you cannot rush a good thing.

So here are a few pictures to feed the picture police.

First the top, is gonna be from nice maple boards and will fold up down the middle rather than the whole top. Just in case this has to double as a bed side table and needs a lamp to stand on it.

These are the boards ready for glue up

Attachment 48848 Not the best picture but will have to do for now.

Then i could almost do a tutorial on the butler hinge. I think i am wishing i had never heard of this hinge before. But i like it. They work so well and for my half top lift it will be perfect.

Attachment 48851 Attachment 48852 See the spring plate that holds it in position.

Here is my test mounting of it on scrap maple.

Attachment 48850 You can see how it will stand open with no other assistance.Attachment 48849

Then despite my love affair with my router since Toni sent me Carols book, I am still trying to get the template right. Here is proof of my attempts.
    Attachment 48853 This is Mk 1, 2 an 3 and here is Mk 4 and its still no darn good.Attachment 48854 Still need more pratice in this area but i think i need a sander too.

Then I picked up some African Mahogany for the legs and sides from Century Mill Lumber they got shorts 5/4 going for $4.50 CDN/ bdft.

For the legs i wanted a lighter design and made the legs 1.25 square from some other mahogany offcuts i had picked up there for a songe before.

I then tapered them down to 3/4 at the base from a bout 4 inches or so from the top. After looking at the legs i decided to bevel the legs on my router so the legs now became Octagonal tapered legs.( what a mouth ful).
    Here are the sexy legs.

Attachment 48855 Attachment 48856 Attachment 48857

There is another picture and the sides to do so i will carry on in the next post.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-03-2011 at 03:36 AM.

GTA Ontario Canada

Vanity Part 2

Well the last leg picture shows the top of the leg in more detail with the routed bevel.
    Did not have time to build a chamfer plane for this one....its coming though.

Attachment 48858

Then you can see how i did the next job if you check out my post on making a scratch stock or Beading Tool here.

These are the sides also going to be African Mahogany and mortised into the legs at the corners.

Attachment 48859

Right now they just out from the Scratching Department.

Check out those beads.....Attachment 48860 Attachment 48861

I just love the little detail these add to the sides. Worried about the finish cycle though. Throw me any bones on that side now please and take away the anxiety.

Then i thought i would show you the contrast with top and side but the picture aint great, i was hot and tired when i took them.

Attachment 48862

What came out nice is the impression of the legs and sides together

Attachment 48863

So thats as far as i have got.

One thing i have done is try to get into the sketchup side because i need it now to get the design properly done. Any further the way i am going and i will ruin the lumber and never finish.

So guess what here is as far as i have come with sketchup and a plan for the table.

Attachment 48878 I still have to put the joints in, design a frame for the mirror which is going to mount in the more tradditional position at the rear on tilting brackets and supports and then deal with the bottom.

But this is as far as i have come and i need to get hold of Dave Richards to help me out. I got a few things i cannot fix and they are trying my patience to say the least. But this is a huge leap for me. I have to thank Drew for pointing me to Sketchup for Dummies. Once you get to grips with the inference concept it gets a little easier. Still needs patience though.

Thats it so far stay tuned there will be more. I need to get er done before the Hockey starts this year.

Oh btw i picked up a real cool but cheap cabinet lamp from LV. I dunno but some of their stuff in the brass section is suspect lately. I have settled on this one (nearly took it back) but the HD stuff was more expensive and i dont want to turn this into a $500 dollar table.
    This one is only $10 bucks so it will do to mount above the mirror.

Please any comments and help will be most appreciated. I am still above water but only just.

Have to build a jig this weekend, yeah the project justifies the jigs its another item from Carols book. If you have the book check around page 55 if you want to know about it.

ABQ NM
    Very cool so far, Rob.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
    Hi Rob,

I like the design of the table very much and the scale of the apron to the legs looks aesthetically pleasing!

How are you going to finish the African Mahogany? Are you going to give them a dark stain to offset the lighter maple top or try to complement the maple with a natural finish on the legs and apron?
    Bill Antonacchio

Rob, I can't keep up with all your posts, let alone all the woodwork behind them. I see where you are building scratch stock, turning burls, modifying marking gauges and now making a vanity table, apparently all at the same time. What did you do, take "Allen" pills? Where can I get some?

By the way, the table looks great!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Delton, Michigan
    rob the table looks great but i do have one question on the top??? i am not sure i would have the hinges showing like you have it portrayed in sketchup.. i think i would use another style. one that would allow the top to open but not be showing .. maybe some one else has a better idea ,,just my take on this rob..i might be all wet its raining here
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Looking Great!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault