Olive Wood and processing

Dan Mosley

I was thinking today what I was going to do now that I ran out of wood. I called a few people that I had got wood from in the past and 2 of them had nothing. The one guy I had got the iron wood from (which I really liked alot) decided he wanted $225.00 for a full size truck load and $30.00 to deliver if I did not want to pick it up..... :eek:........last time I gave him $50.00 for about 7 logs 6' long. I emailed him back declining.....He emailed me back and dropped the price to $165.00 for 1/2 a truck load and $25 for delivery charge unless I picked them up.....somebody needs a basic math lesson.......................

I went to run a errand today and around the corner my neighbors olive tree and broke and fell to the gound in the street. There were tree cutting people there and I stopped to ask them what they were going to do with the wood. The guy said he was taking it to the dump and if I wanted any of it I could take as much as i wanted - and I would be doing him a big favor because he wouldn't have to make 2 trips and it would cost him less in dump fees...............

I am not sure how good Olive wood will turn but ill find out and if its not any good then ill cut it up for firewood ............either way its well worth a try .............

The other guy ill put on hold for now......to bad because the ironwood is has such great character in it and finishes well.............

Pictures 1-3 truck load of olive wood
Pictures 4-5 show cutting thru one of the 2 piths in a large truck pc

Attachments

• Truck-2.jpg
    Truck-2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Truck-6.jpg
    Truck-6.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Truck-3.jpg
    Truck-3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Truck-4.jpg
    Truck-4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Truck-5.jpg
    Truck-5.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I've never been so lucky as to have olive in tree form, but all that I have ever turned is beautiful.... smells nice too.. just like olives. Was this a producing tree or just an ornamental... it looks pretty big.

How does it turn??? :eek:
There are turners who would kill to get your haul.
It turns beautifully and, to boot, smells nice while you are working with it.
You hit a diamond mine. Congrats.
BTW, it doesn't need much, of any finishing. Many simply sand and let be.

Olive wood and processing

WOW,I do believe you have hit the motherload :thumb::thumb: Watch out how you cut it up,as you may be able to get some pretty nice figured wood out of it.To dang bad you live on the other side of the country,or you might get some company :D If you are interested in gettin rid of some big blanks,let me know an maybe we can work something out.

Ken and the others - ill let you know how it turns.......day off tomm and I have to pick up another load of it because the people called me today when I was at work to let me know they cut down the rest of it (afraid if it fell in a strong wind it would damage there house)...........

It had alot of green leaves and branches but because the tree trimmer people had cut it all up and loaded I didnt notice if it produced anything.

Ken ill let you know because I have more than I can use and im sure with the next load im picking up even more so....................thanks Dan

Last edited:
Sounds like a great haul, Dan. :thumb: Let me know if you end up with more than you can handle. I'm probably going to be driving through your neck of the woods in the next month or so on my way to and from Tucson, and would be happy to take some off your hands. If things go right, I might even have some locust to trade on my return trip. ;)

Vaughn............sounds good,.......I went back today and got the rest that was sitting there....... so im sure I have more than I will be able to use before it goes bad......My only storage is outside area that is concrete surrounded by shade trees ......Spent a good part of the day cutting limbs off etc....sealing.....stacking.......let me know when your comming thru and ill try to make sure im off work. I will probably have some Iron wood by then to if you have never tried it...

Attachments

• Wood pile-1.jpg
    Wood pile-1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Wood Pile-4.jpg
    Wood Pile-4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Wood Pile-5.jpg
    Wood Pile-5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: