Anchor Seal - craft supplies - Woodcraft

Dan Mosley

Woodcraft sells "anchor seal" and craft supplies sells "wood sealer"
and there is a price difference. Somebody on AAW said they buy anchor seal in large quantities and repackage it............anybody notice a difference in the two products or are they the same ????? thanks Dan

I've not used Anchor Seal...just the stuff Rockler sells and the Craft Supplies' wood sealer. I'm about halfway through my 5 gallon bucket of the Craft Supplies sealer, and have no complaints. It and the Rockler stuff were virtually identical, so I suspect they're both getting it from the same source...most likely UC Coatings.

When I bought mine, I found the biggest difference in price was shipping. Has that been your experience too? Anchor Seal was less expensive per gallon, but here out west, shipping from Craft Supplies was enough lower to make up for the difference in the product price.

I would be buying 1 gallon - It lasts me quit awhile.........craft supplies wood sealer is 16.00 and woodcraft is 22.00 for anchor seal. I am going to get some waterlox to try out so the total difference between the 2 is $5.00 - because woodcraft is offering free shipping.............guess im going that route.......

Real Anchorseal comes from UC Coatings. http://www.uccoatings.com/?gclid=COvPwd6466MCFcHs7QodVEaq3g
Last time I bought some shipping for a 5 gal. bucket was free and the cost was much lower than in smaller quantities.
I sold a couple gallons to friends and recovered much of my original cost and they were happy with the low price.
As long as it doesn't freeze, it keeps well and does go a long way.

frank, they have a winter formula that is safe for frezzun temps..

I buy anchor seal by the gallon locally at Woodsmith. I've left it outside and it has never frozen...even this past winter when we had temps in the -20s.

Don - yeah i just ordered the Anchor Seal and its shipping here......with only a couple $$ difference and free shipping.......thanks

Sounds like a good deal...when I bought mine from Craft Supplies, UC Coatings had free shipping east of the Mississippi river, but it was something like $30 or so to ship it to California.

Real Anchorseal comes from UC Coatings. http://www.uccoatings.com/?gclid=COvPwd6466MCFcHs7QodVEaq3g
Last time I bought some shipping for a 5 gal. bucket was free and the cost was much lower than in smaller quantities.
I sold a couple gallons to friends and recovered much of my original cost and they were happy with the low price.
As long as it doesn't freeze, it keeps well and does go a long way.

What happens is it drys out when it freezes, espeically if you leave it in your pole building since 2006 and try to use it in 2010. This happen to be a 5 gallon pail of log endgrain sealer from Bailey's.

Just add 8 oz of water at a time and mix it. It will be come useful, but a pain to mix.

It accually works better because it is thicker this way than when it is fresh and does a better job of sealing the log.