Marking gauge conversion kit to mortise gauge

Rob Keeble

Well this is my last post for today and then i am up todate and off to bed.

So I got some mortises to cut on the legs of my Vanity table project.

I have the LV marking gauge LV marking gauge.jpg and its a great tool by comparison to he wooden one i have and the wooden one i was taught with at school.

Was thinking of making a mortise gauge then check the LV site to see what they have in mortise gauges and came across a modification kit to do a little convesion on your marking gauge to turn it into a mortise gauge and a real nice one at that. Those wooden ones with the sliding brass pins dont sit well with me.

So here is what you do.

Take the marking gauge apart its only a matter of sliding the fence off.

Lv Marking gauge apart.jpg

Then puchase a kit, seen here Mortise gauge conversion kit.jpg .

The kit has three items in it and a allen key. There are two cutters for either side of the mortise mark and a 3 roller to support it on the shoulder of the wood you going to mark. This prevents the tilt of the fence throwing off your mark.

Lv marking gauge converted to mortise gauge.jpg

You use the allen key to set the individual blades and it works very well and is easy to set up and change over is less than a minute.

You can get them at LV for $10 bucks CDN. Way better to me than these units although i see they have made it possible to secure the inner track and adjust it finely since the ones i used at school.:D

Its not that easy to find this on their site, you can understand why at $10

Hope this is of value to some of you that might have this wheeled marking gauge.:thumb: