Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Deer head mount" project....

"Deer head mount" project....

I'm kind of bummed that it's not quite as big as I had hoped, but he still came out pretty well. I thought up a couple of tweeks that I want to do and I may build another one that's a little larger. There's a lot of scroll saw and spindle sander work but it was a fun project. I think I'll increase the size of the patterns for the next one and make a really big boy.

I was surprised just how little material that it took. When I had all of my patterns cut, I was going to head to the supply house and get a nice sheet of 1/4" Baltic birch ply and get started. Just before I left,l I found a partial sheet in my "scrap pile". I figured it would give me a start and I'd finish up when I got the rest of the material. To my surprise I was able to get the whole thing done out of that one scrap piece and it really wasn't that big of a piece. I'm trying to decide what kind of a finish I want to do to it. I'm thinking of light brown stain and that's about it. I don't think I'll even put any kind of a hard finish on it.

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 09-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

That's really cool, John. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very cool. I've seen some small little flat pack kits of dinosaur type stuff before, but that rocks!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks guys!

I have seen those dinosaur, insect, etc. type things before too but about a week ago I found this place that has lots of that kind of stuff only much nicer.

http://www.cardboardsafari.com/shop/index.php?

They look very cool but they're just cardboard. I really wanted to try to make one out of some nice Baltic birch ply. I bought the small deer head they had and it was only $17 with shipping. When it came, each of the four panels of laser cut parts were small enough to fit on my scanner. I just scanned them in and saved them as a jpeg. Then I imported the jpeg into my design software that I use with my vinyl cutter. It was time consuming but I manually "traced" each pattern. Once it was digitized, I could scale the pieces to any size that I want. I just replaced the knife in my cutter with a pen to make it a plotter. Then just printed out the patterns and cut them out and traced them onto the ply. I just had to adjust the slot sizes to 1/4" but that was no big deal. This one I made is 300% bigger than the original. I think I may make one that's about 350-375% and see what happens.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

thats alot of cuttin john but how was the meat you got from the rest of him?? i bet it tasted pretty flat an idea would be to lighter the antler parts.. and possibly darken the nose pieces to get some contrasting color like a real one has..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yep that's what I was thinking about. I've got a lot of different stain around here. I'll have to try some different combinations and see what looks the best.

You're right, it was a lot of cutting. But I couldn't believe that I only used THREE scroll saw blades!

John

I decided to give him a little color....

It's a little dark, but I used what was on hand. If I do another one, I'll go a little lighter on the dark brown.

John

a couple of glass eyes and he's ready to jump
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

John,

Excellent job on the deer mount. I ran across the cardboard ones online and thought of doing the same thing you did. A quick search led me to your post and Wow! Turned out great!

The cardboard ones sold online are a little smaller than I (and you, turns out) wanted. Would you be willing to share the template for the larger one?

That should please the tofu eaters.
    Very neat project.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire