"Deer head mount" project....

John Pollman

I'm kind of bummed that it's not quite as big as I had hoped, but he still came out pretty well. I thought up a couple of tweeks that I want to do and I may build another one that's a little larger. There's a lot of scroll saw and spindle sander work but it was a fun project. I think I'll increase the size of the patterns for the next one and make a really big boy. :)

deer_head.JPG

I was surprised just how little material that it took. When I had all of my patterns cut, I was going to head to the supply house and get a nice sheet of 1/4" Baltic birch ply and get started. Just before I left,l I found a partial sheet in my "scrap pile". I figured it would give me a start and I'd finish up when I got the rest of the material. To my surprise I was able to get the whole thing done out of that one scrap piece and it really wasn't that big of a piece. I'm trying to decide what kind of a finish I want to do to it. I'm thinking of light brown stain and that's about it. I don't think I'll even put any kind of a hard finish on it.

John

Last edited:
Very cool. I've seen some small little flat pack kits of dinosaur type stuff before, but that rocks!

Thanks guys!

I have seen those dinosaur, insect, etc. type things before too but about a week ago I found this place that has lots of that kind of stuff only much nicer.

http://www.cardboardsafari.com/shop/index.php?

They look very cool but they're just cardboard. I really wanted to try to make one out of some nice Baltic birch ply. I bought the small deer head they had and it was only $17 with shipping. When it came, each of the four panels of laser cut parts were small enough to fit on my scanner. I just scanned them in and saved them as a jpeg. Then I imported the jpeg into my design software that I use with my vinyl cutter. It was time consuming but I manually "traced" each pattern. Once it was digitized, I could scale the pieces to any size that I want. I just replaced the knife in my cutter with a pen to make it a plotter. Then just printed out the patterns and cut them out and traced them onto the ply. I just had to adjust the slot sizes to 1/4" but that was no big deal. This one I made is 300% bigger than the original. I think I may make one that's about 350-375% and see what happens.

John

thats alot of cuttin john but how was the meat you got from the rest of him?? i bet it tasted pretty flat:) an idea would be to lighter the antler parts.. and possibly darken the nose pieces to get some contrasting color like a real one has..

Yep that's what I was thinking about. I've got a lot of different stain around here. I'll have to try some different combinations and see what looks the best.

You're right, it was a lot of cutting. But I couldn't believe that I only used THREE scroll saw blades! :)

John

John,

Excellent job on the deer mount. I ran across the cardboard ones online and thought of doing the same thing you did. A quick search led me to your post and Wow! Turned out great!

The cardboard ones sold online are a little smaller than I (and you, turns out) wanted. Would you be willing to share the template for the larger one?

John,

Excellent job on the deer mount. I ran across the cardboard ones online and thought of doing the same thing you did. A quick search led me to your post and Wow! Turned out great!

The cardboard ones sold online are a little smaller than I (and you, turns out) wanted. Would you be willing to share the template for the larger one?

Drop me a line via pm. Maybe I can just print you out a set of templates and send them to you. I print them up with my plotter. You'd just have to cut them out and trace them onto your material.

John

deer head

Where can i find a deer head template? I have found an easier one but it doesn’t look as nice. Any help would be great.

Hello, I´m new in the forum, and I found it searching about cardboards patterns, I´m from Mexico and I want ask you about the patterns of your work. Can you send me it to build a deer head ?

Please, I thanks you it.

Note: Scuse my bad english, I´m spanish speaker and my vocabulary is limited.