Camera Upgrade

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been real happy with my Nikon D50, but I just added another gun to the photo arsenal...a D5000. I had a chance to trade a few of my unused guitar effects for a barely-used body with the stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, so I jumped on it. (The previous owner wanted something simpler.) It's like my D50 on steroids. :p It has a bigger display, twice the megapixels, Live View (so it can be aimed without using the viewfinder), 720p HD movie clip capability, and a tilt screen that makes shots like this a lot easier:

DSC_0038_002R.jpg

I never worked with the NEF (RAW) files from the D50, but I've been messing with them from the D5000 (using the free ViewNX software from Nikon) and I'm really liking what I see. I also see that Irfanview can easily do the JPEG conversion of the NEF files, so I think I'll try shooting NEF for a while and see how I like it for day-to-day stuff. It's overkill for posting pics to the web, but another step closer towards taking some high-end print photos of my turned work. ;)

I've barely started seeing what all the various options do. It offers a lot more control than the D50, but it's still pretty easy to navigate through all the choices. This is gonna be fun. :D

Congratulations Vaughn.

Let us know more about the performance of D5000 when you get a chance. I will be buying a camera soon (just hoping for a price drop near the holiday season). I have been eyeing Canon T2i. It looks like that D5000 maybe in the same category.

I've been real happy with my Nikon D50, but I just added another gun to the photo arsenal...a D5000. I had a chance to trade a few of my unused guitar effects for a barely-used body with the stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, so I jumped on it. (The previous owner wanted something simpler.) It's like my D50 on steroids. :p It has a bigger display, twice the megapixels, Live View (so it can be aimed without using the viewfinder), 720p HD movie clip capability, and a tilt screen that makes shots like this a lot easier:

View attachment 48908

I never worked with the NEF (RAW) files from the D50, but I've been messing with them from the D5000 (using the free ViewNX software from Nikon) and I'm really liking what I see. I also see that Irfanview can easily do the JPEG conversion of the NEF files, so I think I'll try shooting NEF for a while and see how I like it for day-to-day stuff. It's overkill for posting pics to the web, but another step closer towards taking some high-end print photos of my turned work. ;)

I've barely started seeing what all the various options do. It offers a lot more control than the D50, but it's still pretty easy to navigate through all the choices. This is gonna be fun. :D

Hi Vaughn sounds like a great camera. Great choice with the Nikon.:thumb: I have the D80 wich is the user friendly version of the D300. Nice thing is all your nikon lens's will all work with the new camera. I used the RAW files when I first got it but they eat up lots of room on the hard drive of my computer and portable storage devices. I didn't see the advantage to using them for much as the image quality is excellent to the " normal human eye" with even my 10 meg camera. I just had a look again as it has been a few years since I bought my camera and I figured someone would have more info out now on the system. I found this link to the wikipedia site with some info on the advantages and disadvantages of the raw files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Congrats Vaughn!

That should be a nice upgrade! Can't tell you how much fun I've been having with my old Canon Rebel. Been doing a couple of photo safaris every day.

You were right, getting a DSLR really lets you get a lot more creative with the photos.

I've been using the RAW mode a lot lately. I bought a 16gb compact flash card, and at 7mb per pic, it really would take a lot of pictures to fill it up. What I like about the raw photo is it lets you play around with the pictures exposures and levels instead of the camera making all of those decisions for you. Here's an example of an HDR (High Dynamic Range) image I made using a raw image.

CRW_2897_hdr.jpg

Gratuitous link to my Photo Blog

The LOML, Jeanette, does some freelance work for New Smyrna Beach news.

http://nsbnews.net/category/column-name/slice-life

She has been using a inexpensive camera for her photos, but the D5000 you mentioned might make a great Christmas present for her. That is, of course, if she is a good girl for the rest of the year!:rofl:

Who am I kidding......she is always a good girl!......(she told me to say that):thumb:

Great picture Vaughn. Good luck with the new camera. What a great trade.

BTW thats a really really good reviewer and review site. Glad you shared it. The guys style at reviewing is awesome. :thumb:

Unquestionably a great choice, professional all the way.
I am blown away by all that can be done with the built-in features.
Even my mid-range Olympus has features unimaginable only a few years ago.
You will enjoy.
BTW, I'm trying to sell my Nikon set. Two Fe2 bodies, nice flash, motor drive, three lenses and a bunch of accesssories. Nobody wants. Don't understand why. ;)

I don't know much about cameras. I get my step son's cast offs whenever he up grades... still waiting him to up grade his Nikons... He's a truck driver/Photographer and currently working with a D50 and D80, but talking about upgrading... Only thing I do with a camera is shoot my turnings for the web site, and currently using his cast off Fuji S5200, which is about as much camera as I know how to use... My son's work with his Nikons is pretty fabulous.