Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My memory is going

My memory is going

What can I say but it is happeneing. It was a couple of days ago and I was just topping up the fish pond out side and I put the tap in and went inside to deal with the new 90 gallon aquarium, then my son showed up and dinner was ready and i forgot all about the pond and the water ran all night. Wife discovered the next morning that all but 6 of our 10 yr old gold fish were all dead. Figured that there must have been 50 fish and 2 koi all 6-7 inches . The clorine in the water did it and now I am taking the pond apart to clean it right out. All other projects are on hold for the time being. God i couldn't have felt more rotten for it as we saved all the fish 4 yrs ago from another neglected pond.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

sometimes our priorities change drew,, look at the other side you could have watched the fish and something bad could have happened to your son and you would look back at the fish pond with disgust because you should have been with your son... there is always another point of view.. fish can be replaced and they had a good time while here..just as the next batch will too
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I can't tell you how many times I have overflowed the pool in the back. I blame it on the meds though, and the LOML doesn't give me too much garbage about it.....until the water bill comes!!!....Ouch.

Drew all i can say you in good company. I have the problem too. I am always in trouble for something or other related to the problem and being distracted.

Sorry about the fish. Is it worth replacing them with only a few months to go before winter.?
    cheers

I overfilled my pond so many time, I can't remember. Fortunately, I've not killed the fish, though.

To (hopefully) prevent recurrence, I put a sprinkler valve timer on the pond fill, so that when I turn the water on, it turns itself off after thirty minutes. So far, that's working well.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I can't count the number of times I've over filled our pool, Now I grab the kitchen timer and set it to remind me to go turn the water off.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I use timers all the time for that kind of thing. I also always carry a pad and pen with me, if I can find them....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I was going to say something, but I can't remember what it was...

(Sorry about the Koi, Drew, 10 yrs is a long time!)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Well I am turning the disapointment into something positive. I went to our local Koi farm and had a talk with the owner Oh you should see his big inside pond. Koi that are 2 -3 ft long and priced in the 5000 range. Pond is 8-9 ft deep and just as wide and around 30 ft long. Anyways I am installing a skimmer to the pond and enlarging the entire pond as i had to drain it and clean it anyways. Doing away with the shelf for plants. I still found another 10 fish jambed into the rocks as they tried to escape. I did learn that the gravel I had in the bottom is a no no as it allows sediment ( dirt) to develope and that in turn can produce some nasty chemicals that can hurt the fish. It also hinders the circulation of the water. So I pulled all the gravel out and will use it in the flower pots ( keeps the cats from depositing gifts in the dirt). I also learned that Cement is ok to use but morter is not as the lime in the morter is too much. I am going to remove all the rocks now and just cement the top cap stones in around the pond as well as give it a bit more of a burm to keep the dirt from getting in while watering the plants. Oh also on another note HD is selling the 1 1/2 inch hose x 25 ft for 10.00. regular was 48.00. So grabbed two lengths. Here is a pic of where I spent my day.

Oh and thanks for letting me know that I am not alone with the memory thing. been woundering more about ... something these days, just can't seem to remember what it was? Oh well it will come to me I am sure. most likely in the middle of the night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fish tank , pond 004.JPG  
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 09-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Drew,
    They say that memory is the second thing to go, I can't remember what the first thing was...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward