Wood Gun Grips

Pete Simmons

Anyone know how they make wood gun grips?

I have recently engraved a few and they are beautiful.

They must make them quick and easy since I am reasonable sure they do not cost a lot.

How can they shape, finish sand and finish with what must be a quick automated method?

Fast

No - Not how one of us would make 1 or 2 sets.

How do they make 1000 a day?

Here is a pic of a sample.

Attachments

• gripweb.jpg
    gripweb.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 15
Pete I see Don the Sherrif and picture police let you off but we dont see no engraving. That picture saves you but only just. I recall you saying you engraved one. I dont see it.:dunno:

As to how they make many a day i guess cnc it would be the only way today to make something like this economical.

CNC

Yes I would expect CNC to get the shape but can they get it down to finish sand quality with CNC or does it need some hand sanding?

Here is a quick pic.

Attachments

• happy40.jpg
    happy40.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 25
Pete, I think you'd have to look at doing some finish sanding with CNC or you'd slow down the CNC to a crawl getting the passes close enough to keep the mill marks out of it.

I think a CNC could rough them out fast enough and if you did multiple router heads at once you'd speed that process up quite a bit doing several at once. For the type of grips you showed, you'd still have to have someone sand and smooth them out. You might be able to get away with another sanding method, like put them all on a grid and shoot them with a sand blaster with some soft media. :dunno:

i think you might be surprised at how fast one could sand one of those handles,, those ladies that do that repetitious work can get quite fast at it..and it would probably be several passes to get there one might do the inside curves and the other a the profile on top possibly with a jig of sorts..