Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP, Fuzz

RIP, Fuzz

A little more than three years ago a stray dog crawled under the bushes in our front yard to die. Today he did.

When he found us, he was emaciated, missing about half of his fur, and had multiple large open sores where he had chewed himself raw from itching. He could barely stand or walk. I've never seen an animal that close to death come back, but he did. With the help of numerous vets and some very generous friends, he got a new lease on life with us. We named him Phoenix (rising from the ashes and all), but he usually went by the name of Fuzz. According to DNA testing, he was pretty much purebred Akita, although a lot skinnier than any I've seen. He was our "special needs" child. He was deaf, had a chronic skin condition that caused him to itch like mad sometimes, he had immunity deficiencies that made him very susceptible to infections, his joints were underdeveloped (the vets guess he was malnourished as a puppy), plus hip dysplasia and arthritis, so he walked with a goofy gait. He got more medications in a month than I've taken in the last 5 years. He also didn't understand "dog language", so he didn't abide by typical "pack rules", much to the dismay of our other dogs. (We had to keep them separated when we're not home.) Despite being weak and slow-moving, his Akita genes would kick in when he'd see a strange dog, and he often wanted to fight. He was usually off in a little world of his own. If I had to pick a human condition to compare to, I'd say he was autistic. But he was LOML's baby, and she smothered him with love.

A month or so ago he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his leg. Any of the treatment options would have only prolonged the pain, not cured it, so he'd been receiving the equivalent of hospice care here at home, with enough pain medication to keep him reasonably comfortable. Not surprisingly, his health continued to decline. This morning it was time. We woke up to find blood in his water dish and on his feet where he'd been licking them. It appeared he was bleeding internally, either from the medications affecting his stomach or the cancer itself causing hemorrhaging. So we made that last trip to the vet today. Kinda put a damper on the holiday weekend.

Here's a progression of pics showing some of the changes. The last one was taken yesterday.

Couldn't resist one of the "after a bath" shots...

RIP Little Man.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rescue dog are special. I feel your loss
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great pics Vaughn. Looks like he was well loved and happy and found a great family to spend his last few years with.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

He really was a sweet dog and this is from someone who is not a big dog lover. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear this Vaughn. I'm sure these past few years were the best he had.

RIP Fuzz.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I can sure see why you called him "Fuzzy"

Sorry to hear about this, but you guys sure gave him one happy home.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

If he was Fuzz, are you Fuzzy Wuzzy???
    It is good when your animals are your friends and appreciate what it is you do for them. You two gave him the home of his dreams.
    Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Fuzz.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Oh man, that stinks. Sorry for your loss. He sure looked like a happy little guy.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The two of you gave Fuzz for his last years something he didn't have for his first years, love, home & family, Well done to you both for that. Sorry and saddened for you and your wife on the passing of Fuzz.

Sorry to hear this but vaughn but knew it was coming thanks for allowing me the chance to see him in person,, he was a specail guy and and had some very specail parents.. he thanks you for the great time you gave him..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!