RIP, Fuzz

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A little more than three years ago a stray dog crawled under the bushes in our front yard to die. Today he did.

When he found us, he was emaciated, missing about half of his fur, and had multiple large open sores where he had chewed himself raw from itching. He could barely stand or walk. I've never seen an animal that close to death come back, but he did. With the help of numerous vets and some very generous friends, he got a new lease on life with us. We named him Phoenix (rising from the ashes and all), but he usually went by the name of Fuzz. According to DNA testing, he was pretty much purebred Akita, although a lot skinnier than any I've seen. He was our "special needs" child. He was deaf, had a chronic skin condition that caused him to itch like mad sometimes, he had immunity deficiencies that made him very susceptible to infections, his joints were underdeveloped (the vets guess he was malnourished as a puppy), plus hip dysplasia and arthritis, so he walked with a goofy gait. He got more medications in a month than I've taken in the last 5 years. He also didn't understand "dog language", so he didn't abide by typical "pack rules", much to the dismay of our other dogs. (We had to keep them separated when we're not home.) Despite being weak and slow-moving, his Akita genes would kick in when he'd see a strange dog, and he often wanted to fight. He was usually off in a little world of his own. If I had to pick a human condition to compare to, I'd say he was autistic. But he was LOML's baby, and she smothered him with love.

A month or so ago he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his leg. Any of the treatment options would have only prolonged the pain, not cured it, so he'd been receiving the equivalent of hospice care here at home, with enough pain medication to keep him reasonably comfortable. Not surprisingly, his health continued to decline. This morning it was time. We woke up to find blood in his water dish and on his feet where he'd been licking them. It appeared he was bleeding internally, either from the medications affecting his stomach or the cancer itself causing hemorrhaging. So we made that last trip to the vet today. Kinda put a damper on the holiday weekend.

Here's a progression of pics showing some of the changes. The last one was taken yesterday.

In%20The%20Beginning%20600.jpg

Couldn't resist one of the "after a bath" shots...

Fuzz%20After%20Bath%205%20-%20600.jpg

Phoenix%20Progress%20-%2003%20600.jpg

Phoenix%20Progress%20-%2004%20600.jpg

Phoenix%20Progress%20-%2005%20600.jpg

Bi-Tone%20Fuzz%20800.jpg

RIP Little Man.

If he was Fuzz, are you Fuzzy Wuzzy???
It is good when your animals are your friends and appreciate what it is you do for them. You two gave him the home of his dreams.
Sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Fuzz.

The two of you gave Fuzz for his last years something he didn't have for his first years, love, home & family, Well done to you both for that. Sorry and saddened for you and your wife on the passing of Fuzz.

Sorry to hear this but vaughn but knew it was coming thanks for allowing me the chance to see him in person,, he was a specail guy and and had some very specail parents.. he thanks you for the great time you gave him..

You guys did everything you could to take care of a special guy and gave him probably the best years of his life. My sincere condolences.... Take care...

Good on you for loving him.

We have a rescue and four other dogs. While all of them seem to love us, Reba just 'looks at us' differently than the others do. I think the rescues appreciate the attention more than dogs that have been spoiled their whole lives.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Vaughn, sincere condolences to you and LOYL. Like Larry, I'm glad I got to meet him, and I'm sure you made the last chapter in his life the best it could have been. Phoenix RIP.

Fuzz is in doggy heaven, romping with my Indy and Xena. You done right.

I always say that pets dig holes in your heart that future pets, while they try to fill them in by digging their own, never really fill them up. Their memory will always be with you.

My condolences...

I'm sorry very much to know about that Vaughn.

I had the pleasure of meeting Fuzz during the tour, and it was a fine dog.
Knowing how much both of you fought to give him a better life, and being the preferred on of your wife it must be hard to see him go, but be reassured that without your care and love he'd be dead long time ago. So you gave him the best last years of his life and you must be happy for it.