beetle damaged ash, burn or continue?

allen levine

Can I use this beetle damaged ash for tabletops, for some end tables, or should I just burn it?
Distressed is not the right word, its been eaten and digested by the beetle.
There are holes from the tunnels, and IM thinking of using a prestaining liquid, then staining it, then poly.
Whatta ya think? Just forget it and call it a loss, or keep planing?

I'd say it can be used for sure. I've seen lots of "rustic" pieces with wormy wood. Also the scraps can be used for boxes and other smaller items.

Then again, you have LOTS of wood so if you don't want to mess with it, maybe someone close by would like it? :dunno:

Ash damage that I have seen has been mostly on the outside edges of the log. You should get some good wood to use out of it.

these "beetle tunnels", wormholes, whatever they are, went through alot of it, and out the other side. The wood was 10/4 and 8/4.
I had one piece with alot of damage so I tried to trim around some of the worst parts, I started off with a piece 5.5 inches in width, resawn to around 2 inches thick. I kept flipping it and trimming. I ended up with a paint stirrer, so I scratched that idea.
I did keep it, I carefully cut away so the ends around the top wouldnt have any severe damage so the edges at least would be decent. I wont put any profile on the edges or any shape on the aprons, since it will only cause more chipping out near or around the damage.
AFter I asked this question, I realized I purchased the wood, drove it from upstate, resawed it all, so whats another 45 minutes planing a bit more and glueing up some edges.

I cant really get a great shot of the damage.
Heres two of the tops I went ahead and glued up a short while ago.
Cant see much.
Heres also 2 different slices I resawed. Same lot, one has total damage, one is very clean. Problem is that alot of the stuff I resawed, I didnt do such a good job on, and its too thin for me to joint and plane down to use as a top.
I used all the decent stuff on the chairs.
Did get 12 decent legs out of the remainder of the heavy thick white oak I had, and still have alot of strips of 2x2 left.

(see my lathe is now parked on my work bench. I had to toss the lathe table, I just needed room to move around and look for things,the lathe was blocking access, so the table went into the trash this morning, didnt care to recycle the wood a third time.Too lazy. It will give me incentive to get started on reorganizing the place and putting the lathe in a better spot. ONe day I will use the lathe again, just not sure when.

anyhoo, this is just a ragtag project to keep me occupied this week and next, and Ill start the new entertainment unit sometime after second week Oct. Im looking into some bendable plywood for that build.

Attachments

• bed 686 (Medium).jpg
    bed 686 (Medium).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 62
  • bed 687 (Medium).jpg
    bed 687 (Medium).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 57
  • bed 689 (Medium).jpg
    bed 689 (Medium).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 61
  • bed 690 (Medium).jpg
    bed 690 (Medium).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I made all the aprons today,(used whatever I could mill that was resawn, and some other shorts laying around under 16 inches and less than 3 inches wide) pocket screwed them to legs, and cut 2 out of the 3 tops down, sanded down the tops to only 80 grit. Not sure if I want to put a profile or not. Still going back and forth.
This is a build from wood I was tossing. I have 28 linear feet (5.5 inches wide),bad resaw job, probably only get 1/2 inch width out of it, but if noone pms me the next week or so, Im just going to cut it to one foot lengths and use it for the outdoor fire pit.(meaning if you want 1/2 inch, maybe 5/8th, its all yours for free, just come and get it)
I didnt make these tables for anyone in particular, just wanted to keep busy for a few days. Only got to put in a bit over 2 hours today.
This is what the tops looks like.

IM going to buy a beading bit. I like the way I see different people posting beads on aprons and legs, I feel its a good bit investment, adds a bit to aprons.

Attachments

• bed 696 (Medium).jpg
    bed 696 (Medium).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28
  • bed 697 (Medium).jpg
    bed 697 (Medium).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
  • bed 698 (Medium).jpg
    bed 698 (Medium).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bed 700 (Medium).jpg
    bed 700 (Medium).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 27
Al, I have some ash logs Laying in the woods that have worm holes all over in them. I noticed that the worms introduced a pinkish stain in the wood in some areas. I'm thinking about making some premium flooring out of the lumber when I mill the logs.

The only thing I noticed about worm holes is that when you stain the wood the worm poop/ sawdust tends to take more stain accenting the worm hole.

We charge a premium price for this special flooring because it has extra character that you can't normally buy in the store.

That ash is going in MY HOUSE. !!

wish you were closer, I would have traded it all to you for some wolverine walnut.

I have a nice stash of clear, beautiful white ash(maybe 150 bf or a bit more) Im saving for something special.

Last edited:
I got as far as I could today with the tables. Finishing room getting crowded..
Ive slacked off and havent applied oil to the last 2 dining chairs.
I did sand the the end tables down and put minwax prestain, followed by a coat of minwax red chestnut stain. I hope someone takes them, Im running out of space.

Attachments

• bed 702 (Medium).jpg
    bed 702 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 13