Jim's High Rider Drill

Hi,

I finally found where Pic Resizer put my reduced size files.

The drill chuck would hit the lathe before things were perpendiuclar to the world so I had to go above the lathe. The first extension raised the drill handle just enough to make it hit another part of the lathe. Therefore, I had to go to extension number two.

Things were better at the tail end of the lathe...one extension did all.

Have fun.

Jim

Last edited:
Dang Jim, even I would have a hard time reaching that drill. :p You must have stood on a stack of a couple decade's worth of telephone books to reach up that high.

By the way, I've moved your post and pics (and this post) into a thread of its own. That way more folks will get a chance to see it. ;)

Just curious, why didn't you just use a lag screw and a ratchet?

I did! However the three eighths lag screws did require drilled holes. I ended up drilling six holes. I was able to use three machine screws and three lag bolts. I think that will hold the lathe in position since the top is two sheets of GOOD plywood and a sheet of tempered masonite thick and the lag screws were screwed through that on into the 2 x 5 wood of the frame.

Even using the lag screws I had to go to a wrench extension. There was no room for the wrench head. In fact, I could not even get the socket to go all of the way down---unless I wanted to mess up the paint job. I didn't have any thin wall sockets.

It was fun, it did a good job, and I hope a lot of people get a good laugh out of it.

Enjoy,

Jim

My son Glenn thinks I should use the high flying drill as my avitar.

Good solution there Jim. But i am curious can you not move the head of your lathe and rotate it at all for overhang turning?

Rob, the Delta has a fixed headstock, so no outboard turning. I don't know of any mini or midi lathes commonly sold in North America with moving headstocks. There's a German one (the name of which I can't recall) that does have a sliding and rotating headstock, but on a mini or midi it really makes no sense (to me) to have one. If someone can't reach the inside of a bowl on a mini lathe, they're doin' it wrong. :p

The Delta will turn 12" diameters, though. (And it has a 1 hp motor...biggest in its class.)

Hi,

I didn't move the lathe for two reasons: 1) Two of the holes are directly under the bed and I couldn't mark accurately. 2) I finally (after a long time) got the two sections of the lathe aligned and bolted to each other...I was not about to move the darn thing.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi Ned,

Mounting the lathe was fun. However, if I had to do it again the process would be completely different than the way I did it. Experience is such a great teacher.

I had purchased the lathe a couple months ago. I took it home with me. The tail end of the lathe was not in stock so it had to be ordered.

The time delay was so long that I called Rockler a couple times to be sure I had not fallen through the cracks. I was told that it was not in yet. Finally a man named Bill searched around, came back and said that he would have to put me on hold for a bit. When he returned I got the answer, "There are forty of them in the warehouse. Yours will be in Thursday."

I think the check-up to see if it arrived was a look in the storeroom where there was no Delta lathe bed. I think Bill checked the paper work and found NO paper work. Anyway I got the entire lathe and I am not unhappy with anyone. Anybody, anyplace, can make a mistake. As long as there are not a lot of mistakes, "No foul."

Sorry I got off on all of that. I had been using the lathe, without extension, clamped to my lathe bench. I tried it in different positions on the bench. It ended up in a different location than I had originally planned so the delay was probably a very good thing...It was a lot easier sliding it to a new position on the bench than building a new bench because I didn't forsee a problem.

Enjoy,

Jim

Glenn was here today. We got the DC all set up though I have to order an el to finalize. It works great the way it is. The el will just make it better.