Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wanna cuss......

I wanna cuss......

......but that is not my style and is not permitted here.
    Got a problem that should not be. Can I say I hate bureaucracy?
    Here is the deal... even though I am not happy with the gub'mnt dictates that we have to use the new twisty type CFL bulbs, I'm trying to be cooperative. When a current incandescent bulb burns out and we don't have a replacement on hand, I will substitute one of the new-fangled CFLs. I am not throwing out perfectly good incandescents just to satisfy the the Greenie crowd.
    Well, the lights in my garage are starting to burn out. I bought some (expensive) CFLs to replace two that had gone. Surprise, and not a pleasant one, they will not screw all the way into the fixture. The fat transformer at the base of the CFL stops it before the bottom can make contact.
    This means that to use the new style bulbs all my fixtures in the garage (4) must be replaced. Now, they are mounted 12' off the ground and are wired in. Knowing me and elektriks, this means I must hire an electrician to replace. To further complexcate things, the electricians I like to hire are retired guys, my age, who do this for part time income. Now, I have sworn off ladders and believe old men and ladders do not mix. I have chewed out and even thrown people off the job when they were using unsafe practices. I do not want anyone injured, particularly when they are on my clock. Plus, I estimate the project would cost about $200.00 before the new not-so-economical bulbs are installed.
    To take this further. If I am having problems with these bulbs it must mean many other light fixtures and lamps will not be compatible with these new bureaucracy dictated bulbs can be used. This will be an economic impact for all of us.
    Will someone please tell me how this is more economical than the old bulbs?
    Color me very angry.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Will someone please tell me how this is more economical than the old bulbs?
    You're stimulating the economy Frank! Just look at all the money you're going to spend on electricians
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yes & your supposed to dispose of them properly too, not just throw them in the garbage. Add it all up & the only thing being saved is the electricity. So for every so many houses using CFL's you can add a house to the grid & be able to power it.
    At least this is my understanding of the situation .
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

There are versions that can replace "standard" bulb shapes but yes, it is irritating when I get some versions and can only use them in certain fixtures. The more decorative the fixture the more picky it seems. On the upside, if you buy quality CFL's they last years. I put various styles of them in when I moved in 5 years ago and have not changed one yet.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I tried one years ago in the garage and it started smoking after a few weeks. Will never buy another one if I can help it. Better go out and find my contraband bulbs before they are all gone

When the power go off and comes back on in seconds DO THE CFL come back on or do they need to cool down first

Seems to me the simplest thing to do is check if you can find different CFL bulbs. I have never had any problems putting a CF bulb into a regular screw-in fixture. I've had troubles with the shade not fitting, but never with the actual fixture itself.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    You're stimulating the economy Frank! Just look at all the money you're going to spend on electricians
    It is called the broken window theory of economics. Some actually think that is good. I don't. And, IMHO, it ain't funny.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    There are versions that can replace "standard" bulb shapes but yes, it is irritating when I get some versions and can only use them in certain fixtures. The more decorative the fixture the more picky it seems. On the upside, if you buy quality CFL's they last years. I put various styles of them in when I moved in 5 years ago and have not changed one yet.
    The first CFL we put in our house burned out in about three months.
    The incandescents in the garage that are starting to burn out were there before we moved in. The house, and garage, were six years old then, we have been here more than seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Seems to me the simplest thing to do is check if you can find different CFL bulbs. I have never had any problems putting a CF bulb into a regular screw-in fixture. I've had troubles with the shade not fitting, but never with the actual fixture itself.
    I am not eager to spend another $10.00 per bulb to replace the $10.00 bulbs I have now that won't work.