I wanna cuss......

Frank Fusco

......but that is not my style and is not permitted here. :(
Got a problem that should not be. Can I say I hate bureaucracy?
Here is the deal... even though I am not happy with the gub'mnt dictates that we have to use the new twisty type CFL bulbs, I'm trying to be cooperative. When a current incandescent bulb burns out and we don't have a replacement on hand, I will substitute one of the new-fangled CFLs. I am not throwing out perfectly good incandescents just to satisfy the the Greenie crowd.
Well, the lights in my garage are starting to burn out. I bought some (expensive) CFLs to replace two that had gone. Surprise, and not a pleasant one, they will not screw all the way into the fixture. The fat transformer at the base of the CFL stops it before the bottom can make contact.
This means that to use the new style bulbs all my fixtures in the garage (4) must be replaced. Now, they are mounted 12' off the ground and are wired in. Knowing me and elektriks, this means I must hire an electrician to replace. To further complexcate things, the electricians I like to hire are retired guys, my age, who do this for part time income. Now, I have sworn off ladders and believe old men and ladders do not mix. I have chewed out and even thrown people off the job when they were using unsafe practices. I do not want anyone injured, particularly when they are on my clock. Plus, I estimate the project would cost about $200.00 before the new not-so-economical bulbs are installed.
To take this further. If I am having problems with these bulbs it must mean many other light fixtures and lamps will not be compatible with these new bureaucracy dictated bulbs can be used. This will be an economic impact for all of us.
Will someone please tell me how this is more economical than the old bulbs?
Color me very angry.

Yes & your supposed to dispose of them properly too, not just throw them in the garbage. Add it all up & the only thing being saved is the electricity. So for every so many houses using CFL's you can add a house to the grid & be able to power it.
At least this is my understanding of the situation .

There are versions that can replace "standard" bulb shapes but yes, it is irritating when I get some versions and can only use them in certain fixtures. The more decorative the fixture the more picky it seems. On the upside, if you buy quality CFL's they last years. I put various styles of them in when I moved in 5 years ago and have not changed one yet.

When the power go off and comes back on in seconds DO THE CFL come back on or do they need to cool down first

Seems to me the simplest thing to do is check if you can find different CFL bulbs. I have never had any problems putting a CF bulb into a regular screw-in fixture. I've had troubles with the shade not fitting, but never with the actual fixture itself.

There are versions that can replace "standard" bulb shapes but yes, it is irritating when I get some versions and can only use them in certain fixtures. The more decorative the fixture the more picky it seems. On the upside, if you buy quality CFL's they last years. I put various styles of them in when I moved in 5 years ago and have not changed one yet.

The first CFL we put in our house burned out in about three months.
The incandescents in the garage that are starting to burn out were there before we moved in. The house, and garage, were six years old then, we have been here more than seven years.

Seems to me the simplest thing to do is check if you can find different CFL bulbs. I have never had any problems putting a CF bulb into a regular screw-in fixture. I've had troubles with the shade not fitting, but never with the actual fixture itself.

I am not eager to spend another $10.00 per bulb to replace the $10.00 bulbs I have now that won't work.

extensions

I found there are extensions just for this purpose. The electrical supply store had them. Owner said he hardly ever sold any, he had to blow the dust off these. I got his last four at about $5.00 each.
I'll need a total of eight just for the garage.
Lessee, I'll have $15.00 per bulb invested to replace 79 cent bulbs that have lasted 13 years.
Will somebody please explain to me how this helps me save money? :huh:
I won't even get into the special arrangements necessary to dispose of these things, or the driving around, burning gasoline, I did today to find the extensions. I suppose that was saving me money too.

Attachments

• extension.jpg
    extension.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3
Frank you are looking at this all wrong!

You should take a nice trip South of the board in your truck, van, whatever you can get and buy a few hundred of the old bulbs then sell them on Ebay for a good price, think of the money you could make ;) :D

here is what you might end up replacing your new bulbs with.....

new-lb-candles.jpg

:D

Wally-world had a huge end rack of the old style bulbs when we shopped this weekend... though some of them were strange wattage rating...

When I do my Holiday Market show in Market square in December, we're not allowed to use heaters on the square... it gets cold there in December... because it's at night, we have to have lights, so I use the 100 or 150 watt bulbs and point one of them into a corner where I can stand under some heat. .. I think this year I'm going to get a regular heat lamp for my corner.

Look into the proper ways to clean one up if you break it. If broke it becomes hazardous waste.

I went to Menards and bought a contractor pack of 300 w (old style) for the shop. Last long and good light. Might get another one or two.

I agree with you Frank. I bought into these things, but have been very dissapointed with their reliability. Oh yes they say on the box 5 year warranty on the box but when you buy light bulbs who goes and keeps those slips expecting claim and then how do you remember which place you bought which bulb from. And as Steve says now its a hazardous waste when it comes to disposal so we have to take down to hazardous waste with our batteries. Bit of a con if you ask me.

I agree with you Frank. I bought into these things, but have been very dissapointed with their reliability. Oh yes they say on the box 5 year warranty on the box but when you buy light bulbs who goes and keeps those slips expecting claim and then how do you remember which place you bought which bulb from. And as Steve says now its a hazardous waste when it comes to disposal so we have to take down to hazardous waste with our batteries. Bit of a con if you ask me.

You are right about keeping receipts. How much can we keep? It doesn't happen.
As for disposal. We don't have an approved site locally, I'll just dump in trash.

If folks are sincerely interested in reading through a life cycle analysis comparing CFL vs. incandescent lighting, please let me know via a private message and on Monday when I return to work, I'll have someone can dig up a link. The research that I've read presents a very clear benefit to using CFLs.

My suggestion is that if they don't work for a particular application, don't use them. I'm not aware of any legal mandate that states they must be used in residential situations.

It's true that disposal does present some issues due to trace amounts of mercury. In my state, manufacturers are being required to establish (and fund) the collection, transport and proper disposal of any these devices. Perhaps, your state will pass similar legislation somewhere down the line.

Lastly, if it helps any, the experts believe that CFLs are an interim step to the eventual answer.

If folks are sincerely interested in reading through a life cycle analysis comparing CFL vs. incandescent lighting, please let me know via a private message and on Monday when I return to work, I'll have someone can dig up a link. The research that I've read presents a very clear benefit to using CFLs.

My suggestion is that if they don't work for a particular application, don't use them. I'm not aware of any legal mandate that states they must be used in residential situations.

It's true that disposal does present some issues due to trace amounts of mercury. In my state, manufacturers are being required to establish (and fund) the collection, transport and proper disposal of any these devices. Perhaps, your state will pass similar legislation somewhere down the line.

Lastly, if it helps any, the experts believe that CFLs are an interim step to the eventual answer.

Thanks, Peter. I have read that by 2012, by law, incandescent bulbs will no longer be available. They are getting scarce in the stores already.