I wanna cuss......

Peter I think there is a benefit if one considers the reduced power consumption of millions of CFLs versus incadescent. However when it comes to this issue i think way more power would be saved if the corporate highrise office towers were mandated to shut the lights off when no one is inside.

Around my neighborhood, the schools could do the same. Example my wife and i go for a walk which happens to pass by the local elementary school. Well during the summer vacation all the corridor lights on both floors of this school in the entire building were left on. Thats with no one being there day or night. Not being used for any adult education or other use. completely shut down. Now that is run by the province here and they wanna talk about saving power so we dont need to build more generation plans. Ooops i forgot they aint paying for it we are so why would they care.

Its the same as being concerned about air pollution then seeing the oil industry around the world burning off gas and other toxins from wells that would put so many BTUs into the atmosphere never mind the polutants.

I am all for signing up to these programs where if you multiply the small benefits by the large numbers of consumers it makes sense. But there are big fish to fry that aint being tackled in this drive.

It also dont help if one country on the planet adopts all these beneficial laws which increase cost to everyone, and others just indulge regardless.

Same issue applies in regards water and saving of water, we had the water co come round with house to house free water consumption reducing shower heads and sink nozzles. But the leaks in water pipes underground go unresolved.

Its a debate that will continue way past us all being around. I aint sure how much of it is value versus a way of someone hoping on the bandwagon.

Some more enlightening news in the paper today about the new twisty CFL bulbs. The last remaining incandescent bulb factory in the U.S. closed this week as that kind of bulb is being phased out by Federal law.
And all the CFLs are being made overseas with almost all coming from China.
More jobs lost.
Thanks, Congress.