Thread: tiny saw blades

tiny saw blades

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in 'old iron'. Oh, well.
    More 'stuff' from the dust bin.
    I found three small, really small, circular saw blades. They are 2" in diameter and have a hole for a 1/4" shaft. Two look like combination tooth blades. The third is covered in protective coating but looks to be a fine tooth. The brand is Simonds and I am sure they are probably 85 years old.
    Now, except "Skil Saw for elves" comments, what would these be good for? I dunno.

I think I saw the coroner use one of those on CSI.

Sorry, does that violate the "Skill Saw for elves" restriction?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Frank,
    Blades such as those are used in small scale metalworking by jewelers, watchmakers etc. “Slitting saw”. They may be mounted on variable speed flexible shaft machines that turn 1000 to 20,000 rpm, give or take a few. Think drilling and polishing at your dentist’s office. Foredom is a brand name that comes to mind here for jewelers use.

Also available for these machines are drills, steel and abrasive burrs, wire and bristle wheels, and polishing wheels used with compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee View Post
    Frank,
    Blades such as those are used in small scale metalworking by jewelers, watchmakers etc. “Slitting saw”. They may be mounted on variable speed flexible shaft machines that turn 1000 to 20,000 rpm, give or take a few. Think drilling and polishing at your dentist’s office. Foredom is a brand name that comes to mind here for jewelers use.

Also available for these machines are drills, steel and abrasive burrs, wire and bristle wheels, and polishing wheels used with compounds.
    I thought about that, but 2" looks pretty large for that kind of use and the teeth definately are made for wood cutting.

Go to your local box store and check out DREMEL. They have blades like the that mount on a shaft.

Probably would have been made for kerf nail applications for picture framing. We have a picture frame factory here that used that kind of application up until a few years ago. Frame parts were mounted in a sliding rack in pairs then passed over the small saw blades, then placed together in another fixture for a kerf nail to be applied which is a metal strip with wedged shaped teeth to grip and tighten the mitre joint.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

What Jim said makes sense.
    OK, another give-a-way for postage. Who wants?
    Flat rate envelope plus cover the Pay Pal fee, $4.50.
    First request gets all three.

Frank,
    If I am the first taker, please PM me w/ PayPal particulars.
    Thanks,
    Frank