Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Reno Balloon Race

Great Reno Balloon Race

Well, I got up early at 4:00am to go and see the balloons take off. Specifically wanted to take some pictures.

Well, I figured I'd do something different and shot some timelapse shots just for kicks and grins. Used the old PointandShoot for some other shots.

What an amazing thing to see. Anyhow, thought I would share the video and some of the pictures...

http://brentdowell.blogspot.com/
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Man to be able to see an event like that first hand I am green green dark green with envy.

The time lapse is incredible. That takes first prize. Did they really bob up and down or is that you doctoring the video.

I think the shaped ones the like the Wells Fargo stage and the Smokey Bear are my favorite. I love hot air balloons. To me its one of the last remaining fascintaing items that have not had all the fun taken out of them. You got real nice shots there Brent. Thanks a ton for sharing that event.

Hey you been sailing yet. Seeing your boat in the minature picture made me think to ask.
    cheers

That was awesome. The time lapse is really interesting. I watched it 2 times.

We have a balloon festival up here as well but it's nowhere near as big as yours.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Man to be able to see an event like that first hand I am green green dark green with envy.
    Well worth waking up. I was pretty neat to see the field go from just grass, to covered with people and equipment, to balloons. I'm really glad I went.

The time lapse is incredible. That takes first prize. Did they really bob up and down or is that you doctoring the video.
    They really do bob up and down like that. Some of them I was actually worried about because of how fast they seemed to be coming down at times! In fact a few of them went too far west and I think they actually landed early and dropped out of the competition.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100910/SPECIAL01/100910017

I specifically remember seeing these two guys go too far west and drop out of sight.

Hey you been sailing yet. Seeing your boat in the minature picture made me think to ask.
    Not yet but making progress. Got the motor all cleaned up and running last weekend. This weekend I'll be doing some work on the inside and the mast and trailer, and then we need to get it licensed in Nevada. Just a couple of weeks away...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Me too, the time lapse give the whole thing a complete new perspective. Thanks a lot Brent.

BTW I've seen your other pics, I like the spider one and your multiple one
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    That was awesome. The time lapse is really interesting. I watched it 2 times.

We have a balloon festival up here as well but it's nowhere near as big as yours.
    Thanks Bob! They said there was nearly 100 balloons there today. Wish I didn't have so much to do this weekend, or I'd go again tomorrow...

The time lapse was awesome! Just great photos overall...nice work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That was GREAT Thanks for gettin out of bed and going so we could enjoy Brent
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    The time lapse was awesome! Just great photos overall...nice work.
    Thanks Darren, but in my minds eye, I know it could have been better. I should have picked the right spot the first time and put in the bigger memory card to begin with! There are a couple of interruptions in there I could do without.

I started off down on the field, and that wasn't a very good place. I did see some folks up on the hill, so I hoofed it up then just as the first balloon started to rise.

If I do it again, I'd probably drop down from 1 shot every 5 seconds to 1 shot every 2 or 3, if my camera and memory card can keep up... A faster interval would have slowed and smoothed things out a bit. Oh well, Live and learn!

+1 Jay on that comment.

Hey Brent whats with "motor" its a sailing boat. And why the licence? Is this for the trailer or the actual boat. Is it just a cash grab or is there actually some logic to it.

If it were me i would go again. You can always catch up with the work next weekend but to see a bunch of ballons like that dont happen every day. Come on Sharon let him go P....L....E....A...S.....E

Now i am going to watch the time lapse again knowing thats how it came out in sequence. Absolutely awesome. You should post it on You tube.
    cheers