Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone near the explosion in San Francisco?

Anyone near the explosion in San Francisco?

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

is it possible for a pipe to rupture at one place and the fire to travel down the pipeline for a great distance, I hope that every body got out of the danger zone safety

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    is it possible for a pipe to rupture at one place and the fire to travel down the pipeline for a great distance, I hope that every body got out of the danger zone safety
    Good question Ray. I don't know if there would be enough oxygen in the pipe to allow it to travel but I sure wouldn't want to be standing at at the end of the pipe
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Big Crater, 38 houses gone, 4 confirmed dead, more missing...

Not a good thing. Apparently folks had been smelling gas in the area for weeks.

Very sad...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Many many years ago,(like about 45) I worked at the San Francisco airport which is actually in San Bruno... had several good friends that I worked with that lived in SB.. also have an aunt by marriage that lived there... My uncle has passed and we've lost contact with the aunt...(she was his second wife and they were only married a few years before he died) also his first wife's neice lived at the top of a hill overlooking San Bruno and the airport... haven't heard exactly where the fire was... it's a shame I've lost track of all those folks. Hope they all are okay.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Yeah Brent the sad part is the corporate neglect. When people were warning about it. No money can put back what has been lost there. Its one thing when nature does it that you can say is an act of God, but when its man made, well???
    cheers

Apparently these gas mains are under pretty high pressure and aren't required to be inspected, so they don't get inspected... I think I heard that only 7% of the gas mains get inspected for corrosion? I'm sure it's pretty difficult since these things are buried, but when people are calling about smelling gas you'd think they should do something.

PG&E = the new BP.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Apparently these gas mains are under pretty high pressure and aren't required to be inspected, so they don't get inspected... I think I heard that only 7% of the gas mains get inspected for corrosion? I'm sure it's pretty difficult since these things are buried, but when people are calling about smelling gas you'd think they should do something.

PG&E = the new BP.
    On CNN tonight the newscaster said there was a regulation that gas mains that traverse urban residential areas, such as this line, are required to be inspected from the inside every 7 years.. PG&E wouldn't answer the question about when this one was inspected last...no inspection is required for lines that are rural... thing that surprised me was that it was only 3 feet under ground...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Apparently your suburban home could be built over a gas line and you'd never know it.

I feel awful about it. One day life is good, and then it's been demolished for no fault of your own. Having lived in the bay area, I sure hope no one I knew (even casually) was affected

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Good question Ray. I don't know if there would be enough oxygen in the pipe to allow it to travel but I sure wouldn't want to be standing at at the end of the pipe
    I wasn't quite up to date with the news when I posted this. Sounds kind of callous. Wasn't intended to be.
    Faith, Hope & Charity