Anyone near the explosion in San Francisco?

is it possible for a pipe to rupture at one place and the fire to travel down the pipeline for a great distance, I hope that every body got out of the danger zone safety

is it possible for a pipe to rupture at one place and the fire to travel down the pipeline for a great distance, I hope that every body got out of the danger zone safety

Good question Ray. I don't know if there would be enough oxygen in the pipe to allow it to travel :dunno::dunno: but I sure wouldn't want to be standing at at the end of the pipe :eek:

Big Crater, 38 houses gone, 4 confirmed dead, more missing...

Not a good thing. Apparently folks had been smelling gas in the area for weeks.

Very sad...

Many many years ago,(like about 45) I worked at the San Francisco airport which is actually in San Bruno... had several good friends that I worked with that lived in SB.. also have an aunt by marriage that lived there... My uncle has passed and we've lost contact with the aunt...(she was his second wife and they were only married a few years before he died) also his first wife's neice lived at the top of a hill overlooking San Bruno and the airport... haven't heard exactly where the fire was... it's a shame I've lost track of all those folks. Hope they all are okay.

Yeah Brent the sad part is the corporate neglect. When people were warning about it. No money can put back what has been lost there. Its one thing when nature does it that you can say is an act of God, but when its man made, well???

Apparently these gas mains are under pretty high pressure and aren't required to be inspected, so they don't get inspected... I think I heard that only 7% of the gas mains get inspected for corrosion? I'm sure it's pretty difficult since these things are buried, but when people are calling about smelling gas you'd think they should do something.

PG&E = the new BP.

Apparently these gas mains are under pretty high pressure and aren't required to be inspected, so they don't get inspected... I think I heard that only 7% of the gas mains get inspected for corrosion? I'm sure it's pretty difficult since these things are buried, but when people are calling about smelling gas you'd think they should do something.

PG&E = the new BP.

On CNN tonight the newscaster said there was a regulation that gas mains that traverse urban residential areas, such as this line, are required to be inspected from the inside every 7 years.. PG&E wouldn't answer the question about when this one was inspected last...no inspection is required for lines that are rural... thing that surprised me was that it was only 3 feet under ground...

Apparently your suburban home could be built over a gas line and you'd never know it.

I feel awful about it. One day life is good, and then it's been demolished for no fault of your own. Having lived in the bay area, I sure hope no one I knew (even casually) was affected

while we are on this subject, a worker from the water company were talking to me about smelling gas when he remove the cover over the water meter for my house, this were about 2 years ago and as for as I know the city gas supply never came to fix the leak

if a 36 inch pipe burst over say 2 miles from the shut-off valve, there will still be some gas in the pipe but not under pressure so the outside air [oxygen] will rush in ----static electric could cause a big explosion [static electric = lighting bolt----they install shut-off valves every so many miles so that a section of the pipe can be isolate at both ends so it can be fix---if this pipe were on a hill side then the dirt over the pipe could wash down -hill