Guess what jumped into my van?

Jim Mattheiss

I was driving home today from the Chester NJ and saw something by the side of the road. I turned around and confirmed my initial impression. :thumb:

I opened the back of my van and it jumped right in like a stray puppy looking for a good home. I think it was lonely by the side of the road.

Anyway - it works so I need to clean the fabric filters and decide where to hang it. It's gonna be difficult since my garage is only 7' high.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF9428 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF9428 (Medium).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 129
It's probably good karma . . .

First thing this morning we donated a desk and dresser to a local church for their rummage sale next weekend.

Later in the morning we stopped and helped a guy jump start his car by the side of the road. It had apparently stalled and the battery died as he tried to restart it.

We have been free-cycling household stuff we don't need/want to neighbors. This is a great thing - there are yahoo groups that you can create/join and post things you want to get rid of and other post that they want it. You arrange the transfer and voila - it's gone. We do a local town wide group and we know most of the people in the group. It's a lot less sketchy than some of the county wide groups - you have no idea who is coming to get the stuff and if they have ulterior motives.

It was just my turn to be on the receiving end of things I guess. . .

I drove past it at 35 miles per hour and new what it was immediately. Weird . . .

Cheers

Jim

Very good catch that Jim. Well worth a couple hundred dollars.

Just to keep the costs down, what i did for replacement filters is bought the fine filter material at home depot its the 3M one. Then made a frame for the front from a previously discontinued replcaeable filter only setup and use this filter material on the first layer. I get 4 or more sheets for the aircleaner out of one 3M packet. Makes it more likely that you keep it clean. You could make a frame to fit from some aluminum angle and a bit of weld mesh. Its a one time cost but much cheaper than buying the JDS filters all the time. I have a grizzly but it seems they all had them made to different non standard sizes.:huh:

Lucky guy,

I paid Rockler Retail for mine. It works great. One day I was across the shop when my wife turned it on...I was amazed at the sudden movement of dust particles towards the unit. The dust was back lit by the sun shinning through an open door.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Enjoy,

Jim

That's a great find, Jim. Good things do come back around, huh? :thumb:

Dunno about the JDS units, but my Jet takes a 12" x 24" furnace filter in front of the cloth bag filter inside. I buy good ones and seal the edges to the air cleaner with blue painter's tape. That keeps nearly everything out of the cloth filter inside.

Found it, can't use it, looking for a swap . . .

Well folks . . . I've looked at my garage configuration and don't see me installing my new find any time soon.

The only place it would fit is nowhere near the optimal position.

I work in my garage in the front half (near the roll-up doors) and can't hang it there due to the doors. There isn't enough room between the end of the rails and the main carrying beam that runs across the garage.

I hesitate to install in on the "other" side of the main carrying beam since it will be a head knocker and obstruction - my ceilings are only 7 foot.

I don't think I want to store this in the hopes that I get a bigger shop in the future. I'm hopefully 20 years from retirement and by then who knows if I'll be interested still.

So . . . . is anyone interested in working out a swap for the air cleaner? I've got no $$$ in it so I'm open to any offers. Got some wood? A spare jointer plane?

I'm in Morris County New Jersey (07946) for location information. It's big so it's probably not worth shipping . . . I'm willing to hold it for a while if need be. It's more important that it goes to a Family Member who needs it and will give it a good home. (Following up on the stray dog theme of the initial post).

I'm also going to post this in Classified Ad's with the whole store for more visibility. . .

Cheers

Jim

I am interested. I am not adverse to paying shipping. Let the UPS Store wrap it. What does is weigh? If I have the weight and originating zip code I can estimate shipping and make an informed decision.

But what to swap with it? Hmmmm... I have a spare jointer but would really be pricey to ship.

Spare router? Well, maybe not.

Hmmm.....

Think all I can come with that ships really well is cash.

Or maybe Steve in Indiana can find me a #7 jointer plane in his every weekend auction sprint and you would swap for that.