Thread: music stand - up and down mechanism?

London, Ontario

music stand - up and down mechanism?

I was asked to consider making a music stand by someone at church.
    I've done some googling and I see a few workable ideas. But I'm wondering about the whole "up and down" mechanism. Your basic metal music stand (see attachment) is dead easy to raise and lower with a friction mechanism. I don't think I can really duplicate anything like that.

But perhaps there's something out there that I don't know of, so I'm asking... Does anyone know of a good "up and down" mechanism that would work with a wooden music stand?

ps: I'm thinking of something like this for a wooden stand.
    There's usually more than one way to do it... ........

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Art if you Google "Sam Maloof Music stand" you will get several examples of how he made his. Id post some here but most appear to have a copywright
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    I dont know of any mechanism, but Ill offer my amateur opinion and view.
    If you make a mitred column, hollow in the middle, then use a piece of lets say 6/4 square, drill holes at different heights, and put a peg attached with a piece of decorative chain to the column, the stand will be adjustable, and all wood except for the chain holding the peg. Just an idea.

ABQ NM
    Art, as far as I know the metal stands like the one you showed have a nylon insert around the inner tube that acts similar to a compression fitting on a copper pipe, except it's tight enough to do the job with just friction, and nothing that tightens the "fitting" beyond that. Another approach would be to copy a microphone stand, which has something like a collet in the bigger tube, and a threaded sleeve that tightens the collet around the inner tube. It could be done in wood, but you'd need a way to cut male and female threads in the wood. I wonder if you could find or make a brass sleeve to go over a nylon collet, which would then tighten around a wooden inner post. Barring that, perhaps the holes and pin that Allen mentioned would be the most direct method.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

outside of Toronto, Ont
    The base could have 2 rectangular vertical wooden supports that hold a single piece of wood that supports the desk.
    Having a tongue on both sides of the single piece that slide in a groove on the 2 bottom pieces would make a simple column. Fixing the height could be done with a pin and a series of holes, a wooden set screw, or some means of pulling the tops of the 2 bottom pieces together.

This link shows the assembly instructions of a wooden music stand kit.
    It should be possible to simplify the construction.

Those Sam Maloof stands really are intricate. From the internet search I saw that Sam died last year in May at the age of 93.

Santa Claus, In
    The older one's I have seen are close to what Paul shows. 2 boards at bottom and one sliding in the middle. Couple bolts with nuts to tighten it down at the height you want.