More work for the new church

Don Baer

Staff member
Well this may turn into a nice source of revinew.. They already said they need 4 more tables and now they have come to me with a new challenge. They have 14 plagues that depict the passion of Christ. These are use during the easter season. The plagues are 9" wide and 13 1/2 " high but when installed in the church they appear a lot smaller. They want a way to make them stand out and there idea is a simple background 1/2" deep and 3 inches bigger then the plagues painted blue with the edges routed with a 1/2" ogie gilded gold.

attachment.php

my thoughts are that since the furniture style is Mission make picture frames in the G&G style and use them to surround the plagues.

attachment.php

What say you, I'll present both ideas tomarrow.

Attachments

• stations 1.jpg
    stations 1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 108
  • stations 2.jpg
    stations 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I vote for the bottom picture. Nice indeed. They must be very pleased to keep sending more work. Good for you! Nice to see a church get furniture/equipment made with style and character as well as built to last generations. So many are going the way of sawdust furniture. Keep it up Don!!

I also favor the G&G style. The top one certainly accents the plaque more so I would understand if they choose the first one. I think the second one would enhance the overall look and feel of the wonderful furniture you have already made for them . . . . anxiously awaiting the decision ;-)

I also favor the G&G style. The top one certainly accents the plaque more so I would understand if they choose the first one.

I like the 2nd also, but I share Glenn's thoughts.

What if you made the 2nd one a bit larger, so that the white space around the plaque is an inch or two larger. I think that would help bring more attention to the plaque. Also, make sure that the frame is not too thick.

On second thought. The first one looks like it fits in a church better. More religious or regal. Can't think of the right word.
The second one to my eye now looks like a frame that belongs in an office or home.
I do like the second one better but the first one seems, to my eye anyway, is more fitting in a church. :dunno:

Hi Don,

Here is what I remember from most churches Stations of the Cross:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StationXII.JPG
Obviously more ornate than what would be appropriate in this church but here is something to check on before you get too deep into any design. What are they intending to fill the requested plaques with, if it is more imported fiberglass figurines from Italy, it would help you to have an idea of what they will look like, first. Most times the passion stations are very three dimensional and the mounting (what you are being asked to produce) should blend and fit with the depictions. Have they ordered the figurines yet or are they still in the process?

Bill,
They already have them. They are 9" wide x 13.5" high and are flat on the front. They have what appear to be a painting on the flat surface and are in color. The edges have a 1/2" cove in them and are gilded. They wanted just a plain design painted blue to match the sky in the paining and a 1/2 cove in the edge gilded to match the plaques. I offered the frames up as an alternative.

I know you guys like G& G and i do too. But as Bob points out this is a church.

Good job on extending the project Don.:thumb: I would just think about what the frame should look like. I certainly aint no designer.:D

Don, although I like G&G style as well, I would not make them in that one if the rest of the furniture is Mission style.

I'm sure that you can design a frame that blends well with the rest of the furniture without risking it to look eclectic. I believe that it would help you a lot if you knew how are the images that are going to be on them.

These are my thoughts but of course it is your project. So if you are happy I'm happy.:thumb: