Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First HF

First HF

Vaughn here it is...my first hollow form

Huisache root (5" tall x 8.5" wide) w/ 2 coats of Minwax Tung oil but not yet buffed. Had a lot of problems w/ tearout due to punky areas but managed to finish it.

-------------------------

Dario

http://www.aoturnings.com/

Very fine.

Perfect piece for your first try, the hole helps you get a feel for where the cutter is at any time. Never heard of Huisache.
    Jim

Ooh! Aah! That came ouy really nice, Dario. Love the curl in the wood. Did you turn it wet or dry? (I'm guessing dry, since it's finished already.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Huisache (aka sweet acacia) is almost like mesquite but with more pink tint to it and moves more (not as stable).

I actually thought this is mesquite at first until I got reminded by another fellow Texan. I picked up the unknown root late last week and thought of using it as a practice piece....green. Didn't even know of the curly figure until I turned it.

Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Ooh! Aah! That came ouy really nice, Dario. Love the curl in the wood. Did you turn it wet or dry? (I'm guessing dry, since it's finished already.)
    Turned green...microwave dried after I finished cutting. Sanded and applied the first coat of finish shortly there after (same day). Took much longer to turn due to the pesky punky wood that keep on tearing.

Start (from chainsawing) to (firts coat of) finish took about 10 hours :O...while others are watching football LOL
    Last edited by Dario Octaviano; 02-08-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Dario

Sweet bowl/vase/whatever! I'm glad to see you are putting that big lathe to work.

Very Nice job Dario. You can tell the side are pretty much the same thickness. Looks like the monster did a good job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dario, that is sure one fine "First"

Super nice looking wood as well!

Boy, I got to get on to this hollowing rig thing, got the wood, need the tools (need to MAKE the tools )

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That's pretty incredible for a first shot at hollowing. I've tried hollowing too many times to count and still haven't been very successful. That's also some beautiful wood.