First HF

Vaughn here it is...my first hollow form

Huisache root (5" tall x 8.5" wide) w/ 2 coats of Minwax Tung oil but not yet buffed. Had a lot of problems w/ tearout due to punky areas but managed to finish it.

20072612944_P1030181a.jpg

2007261309_P1030190a.jpg

20072613034_P1030197a.jpg

Ooh! Aah! That came ouy really nice, Dario. :clap: Love the curl in the wood. Did you turn it wet or dry? (I'm guessing dry, since it's finished already.)

Huisache (aka sweet acacia) is almost like mesquite but with more pink tint to it and moves more (not as stable).

I actually thought this is mesquite at first until I got reminded by another fellow Texan. I picked up the unknown root late last week and thought of using it as a practice piece....green. Didn't even know of the curly figure until I turned it.

Ooh! Aah! That came ouy really nice, Dario. :clap: Love the curl in the wood. Did you turn it wet or dry? (I'm guessing dry, since it's finished already.)

Turned green...microwave dried after I finished cutting. Sanded and applied the first coat of finish shortly there after (same day). Took much longer to turn due to the pesky punky wood that keep on tearing.

Start (from chainsawing) to (firts coat of) finish took about 10 hours :O...while others are watching football LOL

Last edited:
Dario, that is sure one fine "First" :thumb:

Super nice looking wood as well!

Boy, I got to get on to this hollowing rig thing, got the wood, need the tools :rolleyes: (need to MAKE the tools ;) )

Cheers!

That's pretty incredible for a first shot at hollowing. I've tried hollowing too many times to count and still haven't been very successful. That's also some beautiful wood.

Thank you guys.

Curt, I will attribute the success to the tool. I know about the saying "it is not the arrow, it is the Indian" but in this case...having the right tool really makes it much easier. I am sure it has more to offer and I haven't tapped its full potential too so I am hoping to be better as I gain more experience with it.

I wish I can attribute it to talent though. :D

Dario I hope when my Monster gets here the first bowl I do looks that good. Did he send instructions or video with it? I thought about getting the Jamieson video. Anyway I am excited. It should be here in two weeks along with a new tool rest with a 22 MM tool post so I will be dead center thanks to Vaughn and Randy.