Mystery wood - SOLVED!!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've had this board for over 20 years, brought it 2400 miles when I moved. I have no idea what it is, but it is too nice, and too large (9" x 8' x 1" thick) to just toss or give away. I need help.

It is very light and quite soft. Anyone have any ideas?:dunno::dunno:
DSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0010.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

Last edited:
My 1st wild guess is CVG Fir because of all the pitch pockets, but the early/late wood distinction is lacking. Most likely a conifer of some sort.

A fresh planed end grain shot might be helpful also. And how heavy/dense is it ?

And yeah, way too nice to ditch.

Hi Rennie,

I went through my copy of Wood Identification and Use by Terry Porter and published by the Guild of Master Craftsman I the UK.

The best match I could find squares with what Don has just stated. It mentions dark brown resin canals which are distinctive.

It is very close to the picture of Sugar Pine in the book.

Here is one citing from the Forest Service: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/Spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/pinus/lambertiana.htm

You said you carried it 2400 miles. Was this where it originated?

My 1st wild guess is CVG Fir because of all the pitch pockets, but the early/late wood distinction is lacking. Most likely a conifer of some sort.

A fresh planed end grain shot might be helpful also. And how heavy/dense is it ?

And yeah, way too nice to ditch.
here ya go - DSC_0010 (2) (800 x 237).jpg

It is genuine shelf wood. Especially pretty stuff when painted. ;)
Thanks Frank. I love you too. :wave::rofl::rofl:

Hi Rennie,

I went through my copy of Wood Identification and Use by Terry Porter and published by the Guild of Master Craftsman I the UK.

The best match I could find squares with what Don has just stated. It mentions dark brown resin canals which are distinctive.

It is very close to the picture of Sugar Pine in the book.

Here is one citing from the Forest Service: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/Spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/pinus/lambertiana.htm

You said you carried it 2400 miles. Was this where it originated?
Sugar pine sounds close, if not right on. It is not very dense at all - quite light and soft. Although, given the natural range of SP, I don't know how it wound up in NY.

I inherited it from my dad when he passes in '87. I lived in NJ then, he in upstate NY. I brought it with me when I moved to Idaho.

Thanks for the Pic

The pic of the end grain shows it to not be true vertical grain (quarter sawn) but rift sawn. Still thinking softwood /conifer especially when you describe hardness and weight. Pines, spruces, firs can be very tough to identify visually on a macro scale, but can be readily identified microscopically. The USFS lab will indentify up to 5 samples for free. I don't have the link handy, but Google should help. Hoadley's book on wood identification may be of some interest if you don't already have it.

Sugar pine is not native to upstate NY, but lumber yards can get it easily here. And what some call sugar pine may just be a generic light colored pine and not the actual species, as I'm sure you already know.

Thanks everyone for your help. I believe I have found a way to deal with this board in an interesting way. However, I am not at liberty to discuss the solution to the problem till Friday at the earliest. However, I can tell you that my solution is in line with FWW traditions.:D

Thanks everyone for your help. I believe I have found a way to deal with this board in an interesting way. However, I am not at liberty to discuss the solution to the problem till Friday at the earliest. However, I can tell you that my solution is in line with FWW traditions.:D

Well we have a politician in the bunch:rofl::rofl:

Man what a surprise Linda came to the shop and said UPS left a block of wood at the front door. My reply was what are ya talken about Lady I didnt order anything.

Well on the way to the front door to retrieve it a thought came into my head.
NAW he didn't WELL HE DID.

This is some of the nicest Qt Sawed Sugar Pine I have seen in years I have been asking my supplier for Sugar Pine for 3 years now and nothing.

Rennie Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. This will find its way in the Topsy 3 I am working on and man does the shop smell good now. :D:D

And as required here is the prof.

100_1500.jpg

Did I say THANK YOU Rennie if not THANK YOU

It only happens in the FWW

Jay - you are MOST WELCOME! I am so happy that the wood I got from my dad and have been carrying around for 23 years has finally found a purpose. I am pleased you will be able to use it, and I know my dad would be pleased too.