hickory crotch hf

This is a hollow form i've been working on the last few weeks. As i finally got it mostly done thought i'd post it. Still needs a few more coats of lacquar but i ran out, so will pick up some more tomorrow on the way home from work.:) First pic is what it started off as and goes from there to finished. thanks and as always C& C welcome. Steve

Attachments

• 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 009 [800x600].JPG
    009 [800x600].JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 010 [800x600].JPG
    010 [800x600].JPG
    74 KB · Views: 54
your hooked steve:D that vaughn guy has given you to much info and you have seen to many hollow forms:) your flat days are going to be drizzling away:rofl: nice piece and the grain setup you have there is sweet:D:thumb::thumb:

Great form and the wood is spectacular:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thanks Tom. now if only you could get that buddy to come on over to the light we'd give him some cookies.:rofl::rofl:

your hooked steve:D that vaughn guy has given you to much info and you have seen to many hollow forms:) your flat days are going to be drizzling away:rofl: nice piece and the grain setup you have there is sweet:D:thumb::thumb:
man not ME.;) :rofl: I no i keep saying i need to work on that desk, but these things keep getting in the way. Thanks and i hope you had a great trip.:thumb:

As usual a great looking piece.
Rex thanks :wave:

Stephen that crotch came out great. I would only like to ask you to post more pics of the lead up next time.

So many of you great turners take for granted that a newby gets the wood mounted correctly and starts from the correct side.

I personally have wrecked many pieces because i got this issue mixed up:eek:

How did you mount that crotch initially to turn the base? Faceplate and screws or glue block. :dunno: looks like quiet a slab.

Thanks for posting.:thumb:

The form is great...........keep it up........
Dan i'm hooked so ya, as long as the wife don't kill me for not doing anything else i will be.:D

That's a sweet one. Steve. :thumb: Great piece of wood, and the form really works for me.
thanks as always for the support and kind words. even if i don't deserve them.:D

I really like that. Do you finish the inside as well ??
Bob i will add some danish oil to the inside, sloch it around, but that's about it.
Stephen that crotch came out great. I would only like to ask you to post more pics of the lead up next time.

So many of you great turners take for granted that a newby gets the wood mounted correctly and starts from the correct side.

I personally have wrecked many pieces because i got this issue mixed up:eek:

How did you mount that crotch initially to turn the base? Faceplate and screws or glue block. :dunno: looks like quiet a slab.

Thanks for posting.:thumb:
Rob first of all i'm not really that good, but thanks anyway.:D I still think of my self as a rookie.
Next time i will take some pics from the lead up on threw for ya.
When i mount a piece i'll normally mount between centers, turn my tendon, then place in the chuck.I got that from the good folk right here at FWW.:thumb: Workes real good. As far as the grain derection in a case like this, i want the feather up so i'll cut the tendon off of the bark side. Hope that helped and made since.

Very pretty piece.
Thanks

Very nice Stephen! :thumb:
Thanks Jeff, and when ya gonna stop calling me Stephen and just Steve, or old man, or like the boys say pops.:rofl::rofl:

hey ole man, steve:) you got all the wood used up yet i got a line on some silver maple crotches if your lookin..:D:thumb::thumb:
Right now i still have a bunch of wood, but i'm always looking for the good stuff.:thumb::thumb: Not sure if i will have a lot of time to do much turning, if my buddy has any thing to say about it. He wants me to build a boat shed on his log cabin. He also is trying to get me to build his buddy a small house just up the road from me. His buddy is getting a divorce and she gets the house. Gotta go look at bouth jobs this weekend, and tell them what to get as far as materals. Then i also have xmas coming up faster than i like, with 5 child rockers to build,1 blanket box, and one chest of drawers.That don't count the real job, or the stuff i want to turn for my family up north.:eek: