Couple of Recent Cutting Boards

Matt Guyrd

The Xmas cutting boards were a big hit this past season. I have since made a couple more by request.

This board is maple and walnut, approx. 9"x12"x1.5".

Image_ 013 (600 x 450).jpg

I hap-hazardly attempted to make my mark on the boards, but have quickly realized I need to find an alternative that looks a bit more professional.:eek:

Image_ 011.jpg

I also provide a small bottle of mineral oil, a foam applicator, and care and maintenance instructions with each board. I'm still waiting for the first knucklehead to call me saying their board fell apart after placing it in the dishwasher!:doh:
Image_ 020.jpg

This next board is made of maple, walnut, and bloodwood.

Before glue-up.
Image_ 040.jpg

In clamps.
Image_ 045.jpg

After glue-up.
Image_ 055.jpg Image_ 050.jpg

In most cases, the recipient preferred the rubber feet on the bottom versus two cutting surfaces. I personally like the feet as it gives the board a nice shadow line and it doesn't slide on counter tops.

Image_ 063.jpg

Thanks for looking...comments and criticism welcomed!

Matt

matt,
wow, those all look really great! I especially like the maple and walnut one. When I get my shop back in action, I'll be putting a few of those together for gifts this coming year. Last christmas '05, I gave small long grain boards, but now that I see how to put together the end grain ones, that's what everyone will get this coming year. Starting with the LOML of course . :D

dont' see why you shouldn't mark your boards that way, I like it, shows that a Person made that, not just a worker in a factory.

Nice job, Matt. Just watch out, once folks know you can make them, the requests for more seem to keep coming. DAMHIKT. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Ned...many of my family/friends had similar comments regarding the "free-hand" branding. I think it is fine for those I gift boards to, but I have been propositioned by a few who would like to gift the boards to their friends/family/colleagues that I don't know...I would prefer a mark a bit more professional looking. Either that, or I have to fine-tune my penmanship.:D

Yeah, Vaughan, you are right about the increased "requests"...I have to be selective about how (and who with) I go about the process. Ideally, I would like to make a little money, but want to take it slow (particularly in light of some of the recent "starting a business" type threads). Oh, and your boards are quite inspiring...the laser inlays are a cool touch that I suspect you will have great success with. :thumb:

I have only made about 12 boards and they have progressively gotten better, both in technique and design, but it hasn't been without a lot of head scratching! :huh: In particular was the alignment of rows. Also, keeping the four sides square and top/bottom flat took a little playing with too.

Incidently, I am able to take micro cuts with my planer and clean-up/flatten the top and bottom of the end-grain. I just add an extra row of wood from the desired length. This row takes the brunt of any chip-out. I then cut the row off. Works well for me.

Matt