Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who grill

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

For those who grill

If you have or would like a cart (or similar), what would consider to be of importance if buying or making one? Assume for a minute that you don't have a full outdoor kitchen.

Just curious. Thinking about buying or making one as a gift, but I don't know what is important.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I have a 6 burner stainless steel grill with a side burner. I've never used the side burner. I like having two place to put my dishes door and a drawer to keep utensils in. Also the propane tank stores under the grill behind a closed door.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hummmm...a wood case for something that burns

Seriously you'd want something that hides the tanks and as many of the tools to keep everything in one place and look nice.

I think we're (well Brent) down to 6-7 grills/smokers. We had so many when we lived in the bay area, we actually had a BBQ graveyard on our property

Last grill I bought was a BIG GREEN EGG and never needed another that was 17 yeas ago and I use it on average twice a week year around just chip the ice off and lighter up
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well, I'll take another tack on this, since I think you are talking about a companion piece to the grill itself?

1) Easy to clean surface on top. Sticky stuff will get spilled, so I'd think about the top being made out of something other than wood? Maybe granite, or concrete, or tile or something.

2) Big enough hold a 1/2 sheet pan. Heck, it might be nice to have a short shelf just under the top big enough to hold a couple of 1/2 sheet pans. I use these for staging and holding things prior to putting on and after taking things off.

3) Drawers. Be nice to have a relatively sealed area to store your bbq tools.

4) Other storage. Something to hold maybe a sealed bucket of charcoal, extra proprane tank, bbq cover, rotisserie, etc...

5) Durable. Must be made out of some kind of wood that will last and last out in the elements.

Sounds like a great project, keep us posted!

(Jay, you are going to get me in trouble, I want a big green egg, but my ole weber still works too good for me to justify getting another grill!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    (Jay, you are going to get me in trouble, I want a big green egg, but my ole weber still works too good for me to justify getting another grill!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    Commmmme oooooonnnnn Sharon ya know your gona let him get one.

Brent ya wont be sorry
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well, At least I'm gonna be able to get my smoker running again. I used to get hard wood in CA all the time for low and slow smoking, but since we moved, all I had was 'grocery store wood', which I wouldn't used.

Got 3 cords of almond wood coming that should be ok for low and slow.

I've only got 3 bbq's right now. A Hank Hill, a Weber, and a New Braunfels Guadalup BBQ/Smoker that's been heavily modified...

The NBGBBQS is gonna get a workout next year, if we don't use all the wood for heat this winter...

dont look too hard at this cart, it was one of my 2 hour builds, but I used tiles for the top, cheap and you can make the top quite attractive depending on what tiles you use.
    one thing, if you use tiles, make sure you get some kind of waterproofing solution or spray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 158 (Medium).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    it was one of my 2 hour builds
    An Allen 2 hour build = Normal Human Weekend project...