Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buffing set up

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

buffing set up

Over at WTA they had a artical about building a 3 wheel buffing station from scratch. Well i got all the stuff to build it, even picked up enother drill chuck to put in my old lathe yesterday.This will be semi perment and not taken off the old lathe much. now for the ?. How far apart do you set your wheels? 4", 6" more, less? Thanks
    Steve

Steve,
    I have mine set up to fit on the 1014... I think the all thread rod is about 12 inches long... mine fits in my little PSI CMG3 chuck and in a live center... I use the live center a lot, so can't leave mine on the lathe all the time.... but my wheels are about evenly spaced the length of the all thread... I use about 1 inch at the chuck with a stop nut there and the first wheel right up against the stop nut, second wheel about mid way and the third at the end almost up against the live center... in the end, suppose you should space them for your own comfort.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Buffing

Steve,

I just bought that system the other day from Woodcraft. I will go and measure it for you. I will post the measurements shortly, Joe
    ICEJJ1

Buffing

Steve,

Mine has 3 buffing wheels, the shaft is 16" in length and between the wheels is a gap of 4" the balance of the shaft is on each end of the buffing system. Hope this helps you, if I can do anything else for you please let me know, Thanks Joe
    ICEJJ1

Chuck thanks. this will be going on my old go462, so will have lots of room to do what i want, but thought there might be a standard. What i get for thinking.
    Joseph thanks also. Just got a new woodcraft catalog in the mail today.There saying 18", but it sounds like it don't matter a lot. I guess i'll just make it what ever i think looks right for me.

In general, I'd suggest spacing the wheels far enough apart that you can buff your largest pieces on any wheel without hitting the other wheels. The only problem with that is if you make the shaft too long, it'll flex and whip, which would not be good. You might consider making three shorter shafts instead of one long one, then mounting each wheel/shaft combo one at a time as you go through the buffing stages. It'd only take a few second to swap out each wheel/shaft as you go. If you have a single wheel on a 16" shaft, then you should be able to handle about anything your lathe can turn. To get the same clearance on a single 3-wheel shaft you'd need one about 48" long.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    In general, I'd suggest spacing the wheels far enough apart that you can buff your largest pieces on any wheel without hitting the other wheels. The only problem with that is if you make the shaft too long, it'll flex and whip, which would not be good. You might consider making three shorter shafts instead of one long one, then mounting each wheel/shaft combo one at a time as you go through the buffing stages. It'd only take a few second to swap out each wheel/shaft as you go. If you have a single wheel on a 16" shaft, then you should be able to handle about anything your lathe can turn. To get the same clearance on a single 3-wheel shaft you'd need one about 48" long.
    Vaughn that's some really good points. As i have a 48" 5/8 all thread. i'll have to cut it any way so why not cut it twice. what i thought of doing was grinding the threads off one end,to fit in a drill chuck that i picked up yesterday. the other end will have a hole drilled in the center like a mandel that my live center will slip into.So doing it this way i can just unchuck it and put the next one right in. I like it!Thanks again.

Steve, I'm not sure you'd even need to grind the threads off the all thread before putting it in the drill chuck. The chuck might mess up the threads a bit, but it shouldn't affect how it runs.

workingwoods.com

Steve, I'm not sure you'd even need to grind the threads off the all thread before putting it in the drill chuck. The chuck might mess up the threads a bit, but it shouldn't affect how it runs.
    I thought of that two, but as it's 5/8 allthread and only a 1/2" chuck, not sure it wil fit. Will check befor i do grind though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    I thought of that two, but as it's 5/8 allthread and only a 1/2" chuck, not sure it wil fit. Will check befor i do grind though.
    Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

workingwoods.com