Shop Safety Week

Rob Keeble

I know it aint the official safety week but nothing stops us having a family safety week just to keep it up front in our minds.
I thought given some pm discussion i have had with new members that we could have a post to raise the issue of safety in the shop and have a bunch of us regulars either add to this thread and link to prior info you know exists to highlight the issue in our shops and how we have tackled them. Try to keep it going for a while by mining some of our existing data here and linking to it.

It sure has helped me become more safety concious on every front to be able to hear the talk hear.

So to start with i will make a list of the issues i am thinking of that we could all elaborate on in this thread.

• Air safety Dust collection for this of course reference source is Bill Pentz. Dust masks of a reusable nature and face guards.
Glens recent drill press thread for dust collection at the source

Alans mini cyclone build thread.

Alans Building a cyclone to fit my needs

Vaughns Hot Rodding a HF Dust Collector

Vaughns More Vital DC Modifications
  • Hearing safety as in using ear plugs or sound proof earmuffs.
  • Electical safety as in on off switch access
  • Machine operation safety re the use of push sticks, splitter, blade guards, hold downs
  • Fist aid kit in the shop
  • Restricted access to the shop by kids
Ok so anyone can add and take on a topic. I have covered a few dust collection ones that to me were very significant.

Look at this like a review of past seasons, just to get the fall program in the shop going.:D:wave:

Safe chemical handling and storage, easily reachable fire extinguishers and phone with a 911 speed dial button (mine is low to the ground and right next to the door to outside per safety recommendations I read; in case you have to get to it under adverse conditions), adequate lighting, an organized and uncluttered work space to avoid bumping, tripping, tipping-over and stumbling-into-like accidents. Protective not-in-use storage for things with sharp points and edges, floor mats for leg fatigue and saving that just sharpened chisel from a fatal drop.

No more than 6 cocktails per guest on Handgun and Hand Grenade Night.

What? :huh: Oh wait...that's a Raiders football game. My mistake. :doh:

One that I'm pretty religious about is to never have a hand or other body part in the path of a sharp tool. Saw blades are pretty obvious and easy to remember, but with things like utility knives and chisels, I always look at the cut I'm making and picture what would get cut if the tool slips. If it's me that would be getting cut, I find a different way to do it, either by running the tool in a different direction or changing how I'm holding the workpiece.

Hey Rob I'm kind of brain dead right now but how about the thread you started about a visit from the fire marshal and the info you learned from it.

I wear safety shoes all time at the shop, the steel toe is very helpful when moving heavy boards around to rest them.

I use them since I almost stabbed my toe with a chisel that I dropped while wearing sandals.

Always dispose you rags for finishing properly.
attachment.php
This rag had BLO mixed with Mineral spirits on it. I always place them outside to dry out before disposing of them This one was no exception but I guess I should have taken the time to lay it out flat instead of in a ball. It was smoldering when I discovered it no flames yet. Oh well at least it was outside and not in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: