Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Your Palms Sweating?

Are Your Palms Sweating?

If not, they will be after watching this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_...layer_embedded
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

YES they are sweating...I'm not joking, they really ARE sweating!!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I'd have to stop and take a nap before I could get to the top!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Ok, heights don't usually bother me, but that really gave me the creeps...

Vaughn, don't do that again. Sitting here comfortably and I'm stressed.
    Wonder what they are paid. Never mind, it is not enough.
    Actually, the fall isn't bad. It's the sudden stop at the bottom......
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I am to old and fat to climb silos let alone a tower of that height!! (don't think I would ever want to go that high up unless in an airplane). Dang near mad me sick a couple of times!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Hey that reminds me...got to change a yard light when I get home.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Tower Lights

We (the USA ) burn up lotza electrical watts every night, lighting thousands of lights on towers under the ruse of air safety. I say Bull and I am a pilot.

As far as replacing the light..... Why do we have lights on most towers anyways? On a 1700 ft tower a light is fine but on say a tower less than 500 feet. Why is a light needed?

Look around at night there are way to many lights on many small towers. (cell towers quickly come to mind)

In 1929 a light on a 100 foot tower maybe was good for planes to avoid them at night.

Today how many aircraft do you see at less than 500 feet near any populated area? (close to airports excluded)

Must be a strong federal connection from many strobe light manufactures to keep these rules in place.

Lets save some energy and money and drop the requirement for lights on about 90% of the towers out there. Do we really need a light on top of a 100 foot cell tower that is in close to many 75 - 125 foot buildings???
    Last edited by Pete Simmons; 09-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...Wonder what they are paid. Never mind, it is not enough...
    Someone mentioned on another forum that they knew someone who did that kind of work in the '80s, and they were paid in the range of six figures. Per job. I don't know how accurate that is, but if they told me there was a million bucks at the top of the tower waiting for me to go pick up, I still wouldn't make it the first 100 feet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

In my wayward youth, I may or may not have, depending on the statute of limitations climbed a few water towers and other structures in the midwest somewhere. But I can't imagine doing the free climb that guy did to get to the very top.

All that just to change a light bulb? Yikes!

We've got a cell tower on the other side of the valley on top of a mountain. No light on it. I noticed about a week ago someone must have left some sort of light on at the shed at the bottom of it. It really started to bug me, cause I like the dark. I was afraid that they had finally installed the "missing" light. Fortunately it's out now...