Todays Play

Chas Jones

________Spalted Beech.
________
________
_______________________________________200 mm dia.

Sorry I've not posted for a while rather busy this side of the pond at the moment although if you look at the bits and pieces you'll see things are still a spinning. Rather liked how this one turned out so thought I'd bore you with a picture.

For those with an interest it was sanded to 240(uk), sanding sealed, buffed and Micocrystaline waxed.

________Spalted Beech.
________
________
_______________________________________200 mm dia.

Sorry I've not posted for a while rather busy this side of the pond at the moment although if you look at the bits and pieces you'll see things are still a spinning. Rather liked how this one turned out so thought I'd bore you with a picture.

For those with an interest it was sanded to 240(uk), sanding sealed, buffed and Micocrystaline waxed.

Chas always enjoy looking at your pieces. This one is no different, like every thing about it.:thumb:Please bore us any time ya like as i do all the time.
Steve

Thanks for the comments fellas, was in need of an ego boost, anyway made it a companion this morning.
________
________Mark II a bit taller.
________
________
_______________________________________190 mm dia.

Need to try a few more of this sort of shape to get a balance between base diameter and stability with contents.

Chas, these look great! I like the form and the spalted lines.

Was the wood dry when you turned it? I have heard beech really likes to warp.

I had also heard cherry is tough to deal with, but I havent had any problems. I use the DNA method for drying and have had very good success.

OK, I will ask: 240 UK is the same as US? Kind of like metric time is the same as English time?

Chas, these look great! I like the form and the spalted lines.

Was the wood dry when you turned it? I have heard beech really likes to warp.

I had also heard cherry is tough to deal with, but I haven't had any problems. I use the DNA method for drying and have had very good success.

OK, I will ask: 240 UK is the same as US? Kind of like metric time is the same as English time?

Thanks Rich for positives and all who respond good or bad, need feedback to know if I'm making shavings just to satisfy myself.

Yes the wood has been drying for about 3 years, once it has started spalting very little warping takes place, I think it's down to the fact that the tensions in the wood are released due to cell destruction.

I've given up on speeding up drying with spirits and only very occasionally Microwave as I prefer wood that has naturally air dried and now that I have been spinning for a few years have enough stocks to just let it sit in it's semi prepared form (end sealed and sectioned or slabbed just to reduce drying splits)

There is a subtle difference in grit size between UK-USA, I'll try and look it up later when I'm back from my gym session.

Thanks Vaughn, not a lot of difference but it is more noticable between certain brands.

Not as bad as machine belt sizes though.

A 610J Poly Vee Belt over here in Europe is 610mm long (27 inches).
[to ISO9982, DIN7867 and ASAS S 211.5]

But if you are careless enough to to put the tender out on the open market you will most likely be supplied with a Gates one made in Mexico for the USA market which has an identical part number but is 610 Inches long (1549mm). any attempts to define the belt by length are vigerously ignored in favour of the part number.

Thanks Vaughn, not a lot of difference but it is more noticable between certain brands.

Not as bad as machine belt sizes though.

A 610J Poly Vee Belt over here in Europe is 610mm long (27 inches).
[to ISO9982, DIN7867 and ASAS S 211.5]

But if you are careless enough to to put the tender out on the open market you will most likely be supplied with a Gates one made in Mexico for the USA market which has an identical part number but is 610 Inches long (1549mm). any attempts to define the belt by length are vigerously ignored in favour of the part number.

Well, that's what you get for driving on the wrong side of the road. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Amazing how mechanically robotic some sales folks are, huh? :doh:

Thanks for the grit information. I wish we could all be on the same measurement scale. Unfortunately, the US went half way on the metric change. Now we have to have both sets of wrenches, know each conversion, etc. For us engineers, the metric system is so much easier to use.