Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More wood ID help needed

More wood ID help needed

Couple pieces from the violin makers loft. Got it all sorted and put away, what was salvageable.

Is this white oak?

This one I am pretty sure of. I will give one clue. Light weight. I have never seen this for sale or have I ever heard of anyone building anything out of it.

I'd say yer first one is most likely an oak of some kind - and if the end grain is pretty dense, i'd say it's probably white oak.

The 2nd one - that's interesting stuff because tons of woods look like that. My first thought was Hickory but you said it was lightweight. Hickory ain't the lightest wood, for sure.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Looks like white oak to me.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Tip for the second. Something can be made from this species that you can ingest.

Wood ID

Steve,

A sharper picture of the end grain on the oak would help some. It could easily be a white oak. Is it specifically Quercus alba ? No easy way to tell. Riven red oak can pass air through the vascular tubes like tiny straws. If you put 1 end in water and blow into the other end you will get bubbles in the water. This will not happen with white oak. In lumber circles there are 2 types of oak-white and red. Several species of each-kind of like wines.

The second could be one of the Willows. I know there are medicinal uses for various parts of the trees. The genus for Willows, Salix, is the basis for the word root of salicylic acid-aspirin (more acurately acetal salicylic acid). I have a canoe paddle made of Black Willow that is very light.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

I was going to say Paulownia. I don't know if you can eat anything from it though.

Probably not sassafras.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well Rennie, I am pretty sure you guessed it. It smells just like a sassafras root.

Strange piece of wood for sure. Must have been a good size tree. Most around here don't get that big.

rennie beat me to it but sassafras was used to some degree in furniture becasue it was light weight and will look alot like oak.. smells wonderful when working it huh!! i am not sure on the white oak but i do see some sap wood in your pic that leads me to more red oak..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The sassafras was a neat find in the pile. Reason I am going with white oak, it that there was one piece of quatersawn in the mix as well.