More wood ID help needed

Couple pieces from the violin makers loft. Got it all sorted and put away, what was salvageable.

Is this white oak?
DSCN0196.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

This one I am pretty sure of. I will give one clue. Light weight. I have never seen this for sale or have I ever heard of anyone building anything out of it.
DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

I'd say yer first one is most likely an oak of some kind - and if the end grain is pretty dense, i'd say it's probably white oak.

The 2nd one - that's interesting stuff because tons of woods look like that. My first thought was Hickory but you said it was lightweight. Hickory ain't the lightest wood, for sure.

Wood ID

Steve,

A sharper picture of the end grain on the oak would help some. It could easily be a white oak. Is it specifically Quercus alba ? No easy way to tell. Riven red oak can pass air through the vascular tubes like tiny straws. If you put 1 end in water and blow into the other end you will get bubbles in the water. This will not happen with white oak. In lumber circles there are 2 types of oak-white and red. Several species of each-kind of like wines.:D

The second could be one of the Willows. I know there are medicinal uses for various parts of the trees. The genus for Willows, Salix, is the basis for the word root of salicylic acid-aspirin (more acurately acetal salicylic acid). I have a canoe paddle made of Black Willow that is very light. :thumb:

Well Rennie, I am pretty sure you guessed it. It smells just like a sassafras root.

Strange piece of wood for sure. Must have been a good size tree. Most around here don't get that big.

rennie beat me to it but sassafras was used to some degree in furniture becasue it was light weight and will look alot like oak.. smells wonderful when working it huh!! i am not sure on the white oak but i do see some sap wood in your pic that leads me to more red oak..

Say hello to your White ASH wood... No Rays, not Whte oak.... Sassy has an amber hue... Both Ash and Sassy smell similar when wet.

IMHO, ASH