Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving the shop, *sigh*

Moving the shop, *sigh*

So I've been out of space for quite some time. My old shop has been like working in a phone booth for far too long. The hassles of not being able to set equipment up, and leave it has driven me to move. The old shop, (this thread), you can see how cramped things had gotten. I was, (well still am), working out of basically 1400sq/ft and there just wasn't any more room left to grow.

Locally I found a hopefully suitable new space in a newer building with in-floor heat, AC, and 12' ceilings to make a new home for my business.

The building owner is combining two spaces by knocking out a wall to give me a total of 2500sq/ft or about 78% more space than what I had before.

Right now everything is a bloody mess. I had to build an office, and the previous tenant sold/laid flooring, so there is carpet, some tile, and some of the peel-n-stick tiles that have to be peeled up yet. Plus some sheetrock repair where a couple of stub walls were located that I tore out. Plus some stuff has to be moved yet out of the bigger space.

Hopefully start transfering equipment later this week.

"I think your level is outta wack....."

This is the bigger side, camera phones don't give a good sense of scale.

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Quite a job but what a great challenge. With so many folks looking for somewhere to go in the morning to make an honest buck it is great to see someone with a load of work ahead of him. It will be a lot of work but the payoff should be sweet, thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

glad your still busy and sounds like your getting more work instead of less.. in your line of work that a big plus that your still growing..hope it continues for you in your new space karl
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hope it continues for you in your new space karl
    You and me both. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I'm pretty sure that I'm making the right decision, but yikes. Its been a pretty decent year, but you never know. Plus, now that I've got space I need to pick up some more tooling. A 3rd table saw for sure, a few more shapers, and I really want a vertical panel saw.

I'll try and get some more pics up this week when I start moving equipment over. I need to whip up a jamb for the office door, and make a window. Also need to throw some paint on the walls.
    -Yoda

congrats on the move and being able to do it. I know it's a pain, but I'm sure once you're in there, you'll find it much more workable. Well, at least till you outgrow that!

Not a heck of alot has happened this week. I got some painting done on the office, but its still not complete. Painting OSB is a serious pain, brushed on the first coat of primer and it sucked it up scary fast. Hopefully I can get two coats of paint on the walls monday and get that finished up so I can hang the door, (that I still need to make a jamb for), and throw the window in, (that I also still haven't made or gotten glass for).

Where the heck did the week go?

Holy cows is fibreglass insulation expensive!! I'm debating on whether or not I should insulate the office for sound deadening now. I probably should, but just don't want to spend the money. Also picked up the electrical supplies for the office. Which wasn't much, a few outlets some, can lights, a bit of wire, and a switch.

Scraping up carpet glue is also a royal pain in the rear. If you ever own rental space, don't let em' glue carpet down. I'm not sure what the landlord is going to do about it, but the floor is really horrible looking at the moment.

We've had some flooding in the area due to some pretty heavy rains over a two day period. My new landlord owns a bunch of rental houses and they've been a bit distracted dealing with some flooded basements rather than finishing up the cleanup/removal in my new shop. Thankfully I live on a big hill, so no water. But for the very first time in the three years I've lived in my house the sump pump had something to do.

Raining at the new shop:

Raining at my house:

Last edited by Karl Brogger; 09-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    -Yoda

yup thats rain karl now back to your office,, is there door into from the outside? and as for the painting of osb ..spray it dont spend the time to brush or roll it.. one good coat of kilz and two coats of a good semi gloss and yur done.. as for the insul in the walls of the office will there be machinery running while you are in the office? if so then you will need to deaden the noise to hear your next order...

Looking good Karl! Should make a nice new home for your business.

As for the floor, I think there is a floor grinder that can be rented to scrape that glue off. Might check with the local rental place or a flooring installer to see what can be done.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Merlau
    yup thats rain karl now back to your office,, is there door into from the outside? and as for the painting of osb ..spray it dont spend the time to brush or roll it.. one good coat of kilz and two coats of a good semi gloss and yur done.. as for the insul in the walls of the office will there be machinery running while you are in the office? if so then you will need to deaden the noise to hear your next order...
    I was going to spray it, but figured there is so little area there that it wasn't worth dirty-ing the sprayer. There's enough on there now I should be able to just roll it, and maybe keep a brush handy if there is any voids that need attention.

There is a door going into the office from the outside. Actually there is a door leading to a small common atrium, then another door to the outside. So if you come in the front, there is three doors to go through to get to the actual shop.

I should insulate it. I'm just cheap, but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    As for the floor, I think there is a floor grinder that can be rented to scrape that glue off. Might check with the local rental place or a flooring installer to see what can be done.
    The building owner rented what was kinda like a big vibrating putty knife on a cart. That removed the bulk of the adhesive but there is still some tackiness there. Enough foot traffic and it'll polish out, but that takes a while, and I like easy to clean floors. My first inclination is to sand blast it or hit it with something like corn husks then re-seal it. If I wanted to spend a few thousand I'd epoxy the floors, then they'd have to be sandblasted anyway just for good adhesion.

Hopefully, (fingers crossed), I'll be able to start moving next week. That is if the space is ready, and the weather cooperates.... I need to whip up a couple of new outfeed tables, and a bench for the chop box, plus the door/window jamb I can't seem to get done. I'm going to try something funky with the jambs, instead of rabbetting them together I'm going to dovetail the corners. Overkill, yeah, but why not. I hate it when a particleboard jamb comes apart when setting a door anyway.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 09-24-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    -Yoda

floor scrubber,, they make a large scotch brigh pad that might take that sticky off with some clear added to the floor then just scrub a patch and clean it up behind it..but your corn cob might be better approach..airless sprayer and your done, clean up vrs many strokes sprayer wins every time karl