Thread: Cyclone Overfill - Guess It Was My Turn

Cyclone Overfill - Guess It Was My Turn

I was always wondering when this would happen to me. I try to pay attnetion. I didn't think I had done that much work since the last dumping. I caught on when I saw material in the bag under the filter; this is usually empty. . . doh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyclone-overfill.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I was always wondering when this would happen to me. I try to pay attnetion. I didn't think I had done that much work since the last dumping. I caught on when I saw material in the bag under the filter; this is usually empty. . . doh!
    BTDT - Last week.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

BTDT so many times it is starting to become SOP (Standard Operational Procedure)

Now, lets see you empty w/o cascading all over the floor...

Well Glenn i saw Oneida Air came out with a new dust bin gadget. For all of you take a look here this is an upgrade you might want to consider.
    cheers

It's not REALLY overfilled unless it was physically impossible to take the lid off without a couple gallons of sawdust spilling on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Well Glenn i saw Oneida Air came out with a new dust bin gadget. For all of you take a look here this is an upgrade you might want to consider.
    You have got to be freaking kidding me, $129 for THAT

Holy cow, just put a window in your lid and "LOOK" and see if it is full or now...... this is NOT rocket science

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yeah but "that" helps the gray hair syndrome of remembering to check. It lets you know its happening automatically.

If you look at it they using a proximity sensor and that is where cost comes in. Its not a gimic.
    cheers

Wonder if a simple Micro switch gezt the job done? Wit a paddle attached, when the mass builds up it activates a light...

Or place a bathroom scale under the bag, (or canister) when the weight reaches a certain amout, its time to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Yeah but "that" helps the gray hair syndrome of remembering to check. It lets you know its happening automatically.

If you look at it they using a proximity sensor and that is where cost comes in. Its not a gimic.
    Do you forget to turn on the lights when you go into the shop?

Do you forget to use hearing protection and safety glasses?

When I get set to run a tool that uses the cyclone I walk all of 10 or 12 feet (max) to the cyclone, bend over just a bit and "look" into the window......

if it is full, time to empty it, if it is NOT full, return to machine and cut stuff.

Next thing they will come out with a gizmo that sends you a text message if your cyclone bin is full, or calls your wife and gives her a recorded message.....

Sorry, I can think of a LOT more things that I'd spend the money on.

Now, if your cyclone is outside in a shack well, that is a very different thing, checking it would not be easy, so the sensor would be good for that, but if you cyclone is in the workshop.....

My opinion mind you, YMMV
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

My barrel-to-cone hose is clear and should have been easily spotted. I do have the tendency to get "overly focused". Doh!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke