Building the urn - Design A - Redux

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Way long overdue - I am finally getting started on the urn for Linda, me, and some to sell. (Hopefully a lot to sell) Of course there were a few emotional hurdles, some good old fashion procrastinating, and a lot of mulling over the design. However, I think I'm past all of that now (well, at least 90% of it) and work started this evening on the jig for making the sides.

I don't remember which of you posted this link, but it was the catalyst for me. I had been dreading trying to make the G&G style finger joints on the table saw. Too many variables and too many chances for me to screw up. However, this jig takes all the guess work out of it and should yield reliable and predictable results every time.
DSC_0007.jpg
I guess you never can have too many clamps.:D

DSC_0008.jpg
The 1/2" MDF spacers

DSC_0009.jpg

I'll let the glue set up overnight and then I'll square up the sides and end of the jig. I should be working some test pine through this tomorrow night!:thumb:

Last edited:
Is that polyurethane glue like gorilla glue you using Rennie?

Nope. Since I needed a lot to laminate those panels I used up some 'dark' glue I had hanging around that might have gone bad before I could have used it all. It's regular wood glue with a darkener in it for use with woods like walnut.

The finger joint jig in that video is brilliant. Logged away for future reference.

I'm sure your completed urns will be gorgeous, knowing how much heart and soul will be going into making them. My one urn-making project was a very reflective process. I have no doubt yours will be similar.

The jig is up!

Completed the jig this morning. All went together as planned - watched the video one more time to be sure - except for the label on one finger being up-side-down.:doh:
DSC_0007 (2) (800 x 532).jpgDSC_0008 (2) (800 x 532).jpg

I'm waiting for the glue to set up before I take it for a test spin.:D

Joints in 1/2" stock

I will probably go with 1/2" material for my boxes. So, here is a pine test in 1/2" - I took a few moments to round over the ends of the fingers for effect. I actually like the way this jig works, and it's lightning fast. Doing one corner of the box takes less than 3 minutes.

The last finger is small because I did not have any pine scrap that I could rip down to the required 6" - I had to go with the nominal 1 x 6 I had.

Attachments

• DSC_0007 (3) (532 x 800).jpg
    DSC_0007 (3) (532 x 800).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0008 (3) (532 x 800).jpg
    DSC_0008 (3) (532 x 800).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
That is a cool technique and a great demonstration of putting it to use. Did you take the cuts in one pass like in the video? Cool solution for rounding them off too.

That is a cool technique and a great demonstration of putting it to use. Did you take the cuts in one pass like in the video? Cool solution for rounding them off too.
Yes. Essentially one pass, but a nibble at a time. as for rounding over, the 1/8"r bit takes so little material that there is no tear out on the end grain to speak of. The test will be when I try it on the mahogany.

Need some guidance on proportions

Here are a few shots of a mock-up of the urn. The ends are 6" square and the sides are 9 3/4" wide - golden rectangle +/- a little. All of the fingers will have ebony plugs. I'm laboring over the design of the top and bottom. I tried something with bread board ends and ebony accents, but it was just too heavy (on paper). I also thought about a mitered base so not to show end grain, but I'm trying to make a design that will be easy to "mass produce" (runs of 10 or so pieces) and fitting all those miters just does not seem a cost effective way to go. Hence the slab bottom dressed up with some 1" square ebony feet at the corners.

Many of you have a much more artistic eye than I - what is your impression? Are the proportions pleasing? Is the end grain on the top and bottom going to be an issue for a box that will retail in the mid $200 range?

Be honest - I can take it.:eek:
Prop 1 (800 x 499).jpgProp 2 (800 x 532).jpg

(Yes, the fingers are reversed on the far side of the box. I did this to see which arrangement I liked better and I'm going with the three fingers on the sides, two on the ends.)

Last edited:
Since you asked....

I think the thickness of the top and bottom are disproportionate with the fingers. And I can't say if those need to be thicker or there need to be more (and narrower) fingers.

This is a particular style cherished by some, but do you think it mainstream enough to sell many? No problem with the price, but as a pastor and having to council those grieving the loss of a loved one, I know there is always much discussion on what the deceased would have liked. Or are you also considering some 'traditional' styles as a supplier of urns?

Rennie,
to my eye the top with the bevel and the bottom with the round over don't look right together I just can't suggest a way to fix it if you bevel the bottom then the sides would have to be beveled to fit right. If you did a round over on to it would be to heavy. hmmmm:huh: