Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your rule of thumb on a bandsaw

Whats your rule of thumb on a bandsaw

This may sound like a stupid question, but as i was changing my blade today on my bandsaw I looked at it and thought it was time to have a new one but truthfully i dont know.

So can anyone give me a rule of thumb for making this decision. How do you know when its time to get a new one.

I cut some baltic birch in a small arc with a 1/4 blade and it was burning all round the arc. This added to my view that the blade is had it.

Would appreciate some learned input on this one.
    cheers

I start thinking of changing blades when I find I'm having to push the wood into the blade instead of feeding it into the blade. I may run the blade that way for a little longer if I'm just rough-cutting turning blanks, but if it ever gets to the point where I'm having to force the cut, the blade is outa here. If I saw burning in the cut, I'd most likely dump the blade, unless I could spot something else I was doing wrong to cause the burns.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm with Vaughn. Similar to the tablesaw, when the cuts start feeling different it generally leads to difficult. Once cuts get resistive I will mark the blade for rough use and run it till its dead.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks guys i think my blades are dead time to give your AVL a try Vaughn. (AVL = Approved vendor list).
    cheers

hmm, wonder if Suffolk Machine ships to canada?
    -Ned

My personal rule of thumb for the bandsaw is to keep it out of the way of the blade.

Just sayin....

My primary rule is Keep the thumbs from in front of the blade.

Secrete of BS operation is a good blade, followed by good set up. Most fellows forget the principles of how a BS works. With a crowned wheel saw... blade placement on the wheel and tension will control the cut (tracking) Guides do not control the blade, The tension and tracking contols the blade. The guides and bearings contol the operator, keeping the operator from pushing the blade off track.

When you set up a saw, you should do so with the thrust bearings and guides backed off and awy from the blade. Only after correctly tracking and setting the tension on the blade do you bring the bearings and guides to close to touching the blade. They are there to keep you from pushing it off its intended path.

In a brief statement, that is my rule and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks guys i think my blades are dead time to give your AVL a try Vaughn. (AVL = Approved vendor list).
    For us that would be R&D Bandsaw www.tufftooth.com

It is pretty self-evident when a BS blade is dull.
    Vaughn's description is good. If you have to push instead of just feed the work, time to change blades.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I think Vaughn's description is about right. I finally changed the original blade on mine about 2 months ago. The old one was about 12 years old, boy what a difference...won't wait that long again.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault