Lucked out at the BORG today.

John Pollman

Howdy all!

Well things have been REALLY slow for me lately as far as work goes. I'm starting to get pretty concerned actually. I've got some work lined up but it's going to be at least a couple months before I can do it because of the weather. So instead of sitting around depressed I decided to try and find something to get my mind off of things. I decided to try and make up an ice fishing box to carry gear in. I've got one that's at least forty years old and it belonged to my grandfather. It's still in great shape but I've often looked at it and thought about replicating it with a couple of minor changes. Well today was the day. I had most of what I'd need on hand but had to head to HD to get some plywood and staples. I wanted some 3/4" long staples for my PC narrow crown stapler. As luck would have it, they only carry the 1K count packages in 1" and longer. :( The only way they had the 3/4" was in a 5K pack. Well normally I'd just grab that and go. But as I said earlier, money is tight and I couldn't see spending $12 when the smaller package is only $3.50. I was seriously bummed but started looking around. To my surprise, there was an open 5K package that was only about 25% full. Well heck that was more than I'd need and they couldn't sell it the way it was. So I grabbed it and found the manager of the department. I showed her the $11.97 price tag then opened the flap and showed her that it was about 75% empty. Then I just said "I'll give you $3 for the box the way it is". She just looked at me and said "Sure, just take it to the register and have them call me on the phone and I'll OK the markdown".

Well it worked out well for me because I got about what I was looking for and even a little cheaper than it would have been if I'd bought the 1K pack. And I didn't have to drive all over looking for the smaller package. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

I got home and got to work. The project is shaping up well so far. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Take care

John

Last edited:
Well I gave up ice fishin' a couple years ago. It's just too darn cold for me! ;)
But I figured I'd make a prototype and see how it worked. It came out pretty good and I think I'm going to finish getting it painted and ready. Then I'll take some pictures and post them on bulletin boards at the local bait shops. Then just take orders and fill them as needed. Now that I know it works, I can have all of the pieces pre-cut and just assemble it. Just a way to bring in a couple extra bucks. :)

John