Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: House updates for the weekend.

House updates for the weekend.

Was a long weekend (don't hear that too often...huh), but got a lot done on our house.

All the wall paper was removed and walls patched. I got the bead board and trim done in the dinning room, the soffits above the kitchen cabinets also bead boarded (no trim yet).

Before bead board...

Before caulking...

After caulking...(still need to finish painting, painted trim before installing)

My brother put up a new wall, re-sized a doorway to house the new fridge so it doesn't stick out in the room so far, moved a plug, and re-wired the kitchen lights for me. The fridge is in the current location here, it covers about 32" of counter space and 3 cabinet doors...not a good location. We'll be putting a pantry in it's place.

The outside of the bump-out, used part of the entry way.

My wife and my parents did some painting through-out the rest of the house, just have some touch-ups left to do.

My mom finished taking up tack strip for me so I could get floors installed this next weekend.

to be continued...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beadboard 1.jpg   beadboard 2.jpg   beadboard 3.jpg   beadboard 4.jpg   Before Beadboard.jpg  

Fridge.jpg   Fridge Bumpout Entry.jpg   office.jpg   master.jpg   bucket.jpg  

Last edited by Darren Wright; 09-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

We did some cabinet updates as well. My brother replaced the stiles on each side of where the original stove vent was and moved the upper shelf up to accommodate the new microwave/vent.

Also removed the cabinet where the microwave used to be, shortened the depth by 6", installed bead board for the back and re-installed to gain some counter space back. I plan to build a plate rack insert for this area as well as a spice rack or something.

before...

after...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plate Rack Cubby.jpg   IMAG0236.jpg   IMAG0237.jpg  
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 09-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Just a tip for anyone doing bead board. The blue borg was selling the pre-cut sheets for $10 per 32" x 48" piece. I bought the 4' x 8' size for $20 and cut them myself (3 pieces from each sheet). Kinda like buy two, get one free.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 09-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Darren

Faith, Hope & Charity

Darren, looks like you've been a little busy!

With the flooring going in this weekend...do you think you'll be able to walk next week?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Darren, looks like you've been a little busy!

With the flooring going in this weekend...do you think you'll be able to walk next week?
    Trust me...I'm beat. Been getting to bed about midnight every night. The house is about 45 minutes away from our apartment. Been driving to the apartment after work, getting the trailer, heading to storage (another 20 miles away north), loading up stuff, driving to the house and unloading, then spend the entire night trying to get stuff done on the house, THEN driving back to the apartment to sleep for the night. Been doing this every day for the past week. I finally got dug down to an old bed in storage that I could take over, spending the next night or so there to recoup some sleep.

We've got about 5 or so more loads from storage to go, then we'll move the furniture from the apartment, but have to be out of storage by the end of the month, have the apartment for another month.
    Darren

Having the apartment for another month will help you some for sure...although I know if it were me, there would be a mad rush at the end of next month to get everything out...

I'm guessing moving to the apartment helped you purge a few things too?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

looking good darren and sounds like you have a very able family to give you a hand..and your mom has my utmost respect to be a gal that isnt afraid to get her hands dirty either must be that was where yu got your good triats,, the bad ones you must have found along the way
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Having the apartment for another month will help you some for sure...although I know if it were me, there would be a mad rush at the end of next month to get everything out...

I'm guessing moving to the apartment helped you purge a few things too?
    I doubt we'll stay at the apartment much longer, we're ready to just be at the new house. Saturday our upstairs neighbors at the apartment were vacuuming at 5:30 AM!!! Just about came unglued, but then I just left for the rest of the weekend with a radio blaring for them to listen to.

I think we did purge some things, others will probably go once my wife decorates the house and the left-overs go for garage sale or charity. Our last house had 5 bedrooms and we now have 3, so some stuff has to go...it's not going in my shop!
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looking good darren and sounds like you have a very able family to give you a hand..and your mom has my utmost respect to be a gal that isnt afraid to get her hands dirty either must be that was where yu got your good triats,, the bad ones you must have found along the way
    Ha, yeah, that's the ticket...

My mother is a saint...she'll be turning 69 this year. She's always been one to jump in and get things done. When my dad used to build houses, he worked nights a lot. She managed a lot of the logistics of getting lumber ordered and picking up stuff so my dad would have what he needed when he came home to "work".

She mentioned to my wife that my dad was needing something like this to do, he's been a bit stir crazy this summer not having any house projects to work on. Between me and my nephew's house we've kept him pretty busy.
    Darren