House updates for the weekend.

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Was a long weekend (don't hear that too often...huh), but got a lot done on our house.

All the wall paper was removed and walls patched. I got the bead board and trim done in the dinning room, the soffits above the kitchen cabinets also bead boarded (no trim yet).

Before bead board...
attachment.php

Before caulking...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After caulking...(still need to finish painting, painted trim before installing)
attachment.php

My brother put up a new wall, re-sized a doorway to house the new fridge so it doesn't stick out in the room so far, moved a plug, and re-wired the kitchen lights for me. The fridge is in the current location here, it covers about 32" of counter space and 3 cabinet doors...not a good location. We'll be putting a pantry in it's place.
attachment.php

The outside of the bump-out, used part of the entry way.
attachment.php

My wife and my parents did some painting through-out the rest of the house, just have some touch-ups left to do.
attachment.php

attachment.php

My mom finished taking up tack strip for me so I could get floors installed this next weekend.
attachment.php

to be continued...

Attachments

• beadboard 1.jpg
    beadboard 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Fridge Bumpout Entry.jpg
    Fridge Bumpout Entry.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Fridge.jpg
    Fridge.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Before Beadboard.jpg
    Before Beadboard.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 245
  • beadboard 4.jpg
    beadboard 4.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 246
  • beadboard 3.jpg
    beadboard 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 246
  • beadboard 2.jpg
    beadboard 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 246
  • office.jpg
    office.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 243
  • master.jpg
    master.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 242
  • bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
We did some cabinet updates as well. My brother replaced the stiles on each side of where the original stove vent was and moved the upper shelf up to accommodate the new microwave/vent.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also removed the cabinet where the microwave used to be, shortened the depth by 6", installed bead board for the back and re-installed to gain some counter space back. I plan to build a plate rack insert for this area as well as a spice rack or something.

before...
diningKitchen.jpg

after...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Plate Rack Cubby.jpg
    Plate Rack Cubby.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0236.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Just a tip for anyone doing bead board. The blue borg was selling the pre-cut sheets for $10 per 32" x 48" piece. I bought the 4' x 8' size for $20 and cut them myself (3 pieces from each sheet). Kinda like buy two, get one free. ;)

Last edited:
Darren, looks like you've been a little busy! :thumb:

With the flooring going in this weekend...do you think you'll be able to walk next week? :dunno:

Darren, looks like you've been a little busy! :thumb:

With the flooring going in this weekend...do you think you'll be able to walk next week? :dunno:

Trust me...I'm beat. Been getting to bed about midnight every night. The house is about 45 minutes away from our apartment. Been driving to the apartment after work, getting the trailer, heading to storage (another 20 miles away north), loading up stuff, driving to the house and unloading, then spend the entire night trying to get stuff done on the house, THEN driving back to the apartment to sleep for the night. Been doing this every day for the past week. I finally got dug down to an old bed in storage that I could take over, spending the next night or so there to recoup some sleep.

We've got about 5 or so more loads from storage to go, then we'll move the furniture from the apartment, but have to be out of storage by the end of the month, have the apartment for another month.

Having the apartment for another month will help you some for sure...although I know if it were me, there would be a mad rush at the end of next month to get everything out...:doh:

I'm guessing moving to the apartment helped you purge a few things too? :dunno:

looking good darren and sounds like you have a very able family to give you a hand..and your mom has my utmost respect to be a gal that isnt afraid to get her hands dirty either:thumb::thumb: must be that was where yu got your good triats,, the bad ones you must have found along the way:):rofl:

Having the apartment for another month will help you some for sure...although I know if it were me, there would be a mad rush at the end of next month to get everything out...:doh:

I'm guessing moving to the apartment helped you purge a few things too? :dunno:

I doubt we'll stay at the apartment much longer, we're ready to just be at the new house. Saturday our upstairs neighbors at the apartment were vacuuming at 5:30 AM!!! Just about came unglued, but then I just left for the rest of the weekend with a radio blaring for them to listen to. :D

I think we did purge some things, others will probably go once my wife decorates the house and the left-overs go for garage sale or charity. Our last house had 5 bedrooms and we now have 3, so some stuff has to go...it's not going in my shop! ;)

looking good darren and sounds like you have a very able family to give you a hand..and your mom has my utmost respect to be a gal that isnt afraid to get her hands dirty either:thumb::thumb: must be that was where yu got your good triats,, the bad ones you must have found along the way:):rofl:

Ha, yeah, that's the ticket...:D

My mother is a saint...she'll be turning 69 this year. She's always been one to jump in and get things done. When my dad used to build houses, he worked nights a lot. She managed a lot of the logistics of getting lumber ordered and picking up stuff so my dad would have what he needed when he came home to "work".

She mentioned to my wife that my dad was needing something like this to do, he's been a bit stir crazy this summer not having any house projects to work on. Between me and my nephew's house we've kept him pretty busy.

Got the crown and bottom caps installed and caulked on the soffits last night.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics. Doesn't have a flash and lights are pretty bright in there.

Attachments

• crown1.jpg
    crown1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
  • crown2.jpg
    crown2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 128
This weekend was pretty unproductive as far as the house goes. Spend Friday night and Saturday moving our belongings out of storage units to the shop, which is now filled up (hard to believe huh :huh:).

The crown on the soffits needed the ends capped yet. I think I finally figured out the right angles and look I want for them (pics to come). Anyway, went through about 4' of crown to finally get the right angles...had to go buy more to finish the job. :rolleyes:

Spent a good part of my day yesterday fishing cables through out the house to get our internet and TV installed today. The previous owner had satellite and none of the connections were where my wife wanted them.

My parents came over and finished painting our entry and the alcove for the fridge. They were heading out today to migrate south for the winter, so was good to spend some time with them before they left too.

Wow Darren i dont know how i missed the first post but i sure like that beadboard and rail. I been on at my missus to allow me to do some of that in our house. Looks great.:thumb:

As for crown i have a book i bought that allows you to cut it flat. Lent it to my friend and he got himself into a total tizzy mixing between up against the fence and doing a double angle cut flat. If your chop saw has a big enough blade and fence you can get it with one cut using a starret mitre gauge. Of course i had to also point out to him to take note when measuring the sliding hook on the tape measure. Very few people know about that.

You got a great family all helping you out there.:thumb:

Rob, This was my first time doing bead board. Just to warn you, it looks pretty ugly when you first put it up and can see all the joints, but the latex caulk evens out things pretty nicely. You can't even tell where the joints were on mine now.

Taking the time with a wet terry cloth towel to clean out the caulk from the bead board grooves at the top and bottom where I caulked the gaps and openings between the trim and bead board. Smooth out the caulking to the point as if it doesn't exist. IMHO these details are what makes the difference that looks like a professional job vs. a DYI job. I was lucky enough to work with a really good union painter years ago and he taught me some good tips for making paint work stand out. My nephew is working with him now, just picked up a couple of things from him that he learned from him as well when we were talking about him.

Rob, This was my first time doing bead board. Just to warn you, it looks pretty ugly when you first put it up and can see all the joints, but the latex caulk evens out things pretty nicely. You can't even tell where the joints were on mine now...

"A little caulk; a little paint; makes it look like what it ain't!" :D:D

Had some time to get some better quality pics and thought I'd share.

I finished up the end caps of the crown moulding and added some corner moulding as well. Went through about 5' of moulding cutting angles, then had to finally go buy another 8' to finish up the 1'-6" I had left. :doh: I was going to do a 45 degree piece on each end, but by dumb luck I did angles for an octagon instead of a hexagon.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Overall kitchen...please excuse the mess...we're not even living here yet.
attachment.php

Forgot to mention that my dad and brother finished installing the outside vent for me this past weekend, so we got the microwave in. Outside wall was 2x4, but had an additional 2x2 to make them 6" walls. There was a stud right down the middle of the vent hole. So I had to make a 6"x16"x2" metal pan to put into the wall to offset the vent by 6" (sorry no pics, well there is one posted earlier, but it's not the same pan that I used, I went to the proper vent size for the final one)
attachment.php

This microwave has a vent hood extension that slides out when pushed since we went with a gas range.
attachment.php

Here's another pic of the old microwave cubby which will get some more updates later to make it a plate and spice rack. Right now it's home to my newest book in my collection (I know...hard to see, but some of you will recognize it, will have to take it to AZ later this year to see if I can get her to sign it for me.) ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Image00005.jpg