Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing up table tops

Gluing up table tops

When I started out in woodworking I used a sack full of dowels to glue up a table top. Then I changed to biscuits but still used a lot of them. Then I saw Norm A. gluing up a Cherry table top and he didn't use anything at all (but glue).

What do you do when gluing up a table top, just glue, a few biscuits etc?

Thanks, DKT

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I use a few dowels strickly for alignment.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

glue is enough but dons method of using a couple of dowels to line up with is a good idea on larger tables. just remember that if your gonna cut the top to a smaller size or different shape to have your dowels away from the cutting path. those white round spot dont look right in the edge
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Lots of guys say glue is enough and I'm sure it is. I've always used dowels. Gave biscuits a try and had poor results. I've gone back to dowels. I don't use them for strength I use them for alignment.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I'm a glue only person. I've had alignment problems WITH biscuits and dowels.

I glue one joint at a time, clamping and adjusting from the middle out, one clamp at a time, alternating from side to side. My adjusters include the big dead blow hammer!

biscuits here

I usually use just glue, but I recently got a glue joint router bit that works well. It takes a little adjustment to get it right but if you have a lot of boards to glue it makes alignment quick during glue-up.

I use a glue joint cutter. Only resaon is it saves me time when glueing up alot of panels.

Building a dining room table was one of the main reasons for me getting into WW. After the first one ended up mostly on the burn pile because of alignment problems, I started to use biscuits. No more alignment problems. However since that time, I have also upgraded several machines that have made glue-ups a real pleasure (jointer, freud glue line rip, bessey k clamps, etc.). Every now and then I will use them on large glue ups, but I think Dave and Al have the right idea of using joint cutter (on larger ones). Just have not had a reason to try one yet. Like most tools, I think there is a right time to use them...based upon the task at hand and my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug DeVore View Post
    Building a dining room table was one of the main reasons for me getting into WW. After the first one ended up mostly on the burn pile because of alignment problems, I started to use biscuits. No more alignment problems. However since that time, I have also upgraded several machines that have made glue-ups a real pleasure (jointer, freud glue line rip, bessey k clamps, etc.). Every now and then I will use them on large glue ups, but I think Dave and Al have the right idea of using joint cutter (on larger ones). Just have not had a reason to try one yet. Like most tools, I think there is a right time to use them...based upon the task at hand and my ability.
    For a lot of glue ups I just rip the board on the tablesaw and glue them up, no biscuits, dowels, or any thing else. I usually do this when the glue up is small enough to fit into the planer. I just leave the boards thicker then they need to be and glue them up, when its dry I stick it through the planer and it works great. Before I had the glue joint router bit I just had to hand plane the glue up when the boards didn't line up, which was all the time. The only thing I don't like about the router bit is how the end grain of the board looks after its glued. I think it looks like cheap manufacturing. I think a glued tongue and groove would look nicer