Is a root ball turnable?

Tom Baugues

I helped my brother pull some shrubs from my parents home this weekend. These had been planted about 40 years ago. When we got them broke loose the color of the base was fantastic. Is this usable? I brought two of them home with me and hosed off the dirt. Each base is about 6-7 inches across and about 8-10 inches tall. do they need to be sealed? or can I turn them now???

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• Root ball 1.jpg
    Root ball 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Root ball 2.jpg
    Root ball 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 91
Me not being a turner can even answer this one....YES:D there have been many awesome root ball turnings shown here. I am sure Vaughn and others will jump in and show you examples:thumb:

Yup

I'm a novice turner so I can only give you my limited advice.

"Grip it and rip it"

With color like that I'd try even if the results were horrible.

Nope. Can't be done. :rofl:

Myoporum Bowl 1- 01 800.jpg Ralph's Root 1 - 800.jpg Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 01 800.jpg

They are a challenge for sure, but the results can be pretty cool.

Bowl 19 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 043 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 058 - 02 800.jpg

Sharp tools, light cuts, safety gear, and caution are you need. I also like to pressure wash the roots before I get into them with the chainsaw or gouges. You'll still likely hit some rocks or other hard stuff, but the more you can wash away, the better.

Vaughn, thank you for that. Your finished product is amazing! Is it suggested that it dry out first?

Tom, the ones I've done so far have been somewhat wet when first turned, so I roughed/dried/re-turned them about the same as I would any other wet wood. I've got another big myoporum root in my woodpile that was cut three or four years ago, so I'm guessing it's pretty dry by now. As soon as I work up the motivation (and courage) to turn it, I'll find out if dry is better than wet. :D

I decided to put the smaller of the two on the lathe tonight to see what would happen. The wood inside is really wild. At first I just turned it down to see what it looked like then it cracked off a large chunk in the center so after turning it down this is what I'm left with. Now I have no idea where to go with this. It looks like a goblet but the base would not be large enough to support it. So now I'm thinking of using the "large end" for one project and use the "stem" for something else???? I just don't know what???? Anyone want to give me any ideas?????

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• 07 resized.jpg
    07 resized.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 97
I've seen some awesome spoons carved out of root balls. I have some large root masses that I had too chainsaw out of a soft maple. I have been turning some pens from the wood that has the crazy wood grain similar to burl. The only caution is that I found some small berries mixed in with the root mass that I later deduced were poison ivy berries. I have a pen blank cast with the root which I will dub " the poison ivy league pen" I've been thinking of sending it to some deserving writer who might have a reputation of spreading "poison" with the pen.....:D

Tom,

That is really unique. It would make quite a bud vase with the larger end as the base but I think I'd go for a goblet.

If you wanted to do a goblet there is no reason not to add another piece of wood to widen out the base.

My wife turned a goblet: the cup is maple, the stem is black walnut and the base is honey locust. It looks great! I don't think there's a rule that a goblet has to be from a single piece of wood.

Was the root wet? You may want to seal what you've turned and let it dry a bit to see which way it wants to go, then stabilize it before turning again. (CA, Pentacryl, or yellow glue mixed with water).

Good luck. Hope to see what you do with it.

D.

Goosh darn it !!!!!!! You all went and done it !!!!!!!

Now I want to turn root balls. They look cool and that's all I need right now is another strong desire to create something I never have. Now the search is on. I guess I am lucky though to have at my disposal a big farm with lots off woods.
So what is the best, fruit trees, sassafras exc exc ?

I somehow missed seeing your pic of the inside of that root earlier, Tom. That is indeed some cool-looking wood.

Personally, I think I'd try to make a box or small bowl or hollow form out of the larger part, and a slender weed pot/vase from the skinny part. As mentioned, you could make a goblet is you add another piece of wood, but with wild-looking wood like this, it can be hard to find another wood that doesn't clash. Ebony would work, but you'd need to decide if you want a light-colored goblet with a black base.

Denis' suggestion to let things dry some to settle down any movement is a good one, although I've never had a need to stabilize this kind of wood.