Thread: ShopSmith Lathe Tools

ShopSmith Lathe Tools

When I started turning (about 1 month ago) I bought a cheap set of tools from Menards for 20 bucks. Figured I'd ruin those learning how to sharpen.

About 4 days later I realized that I needed better so I went to WoodCraft and bought a Wood River set for about 50 bucks. They work well, I really like the HSS because I still have no idea how to sharpen a gouge.

Today I found 10 Shopsmith knives on craigslist that I think I got a pretty good deal on. Only 1-2 of them actually has been used.

Only 5 of the 10 had numbers. 555027, 555028, 555026, 555030, 555029.

Can anyone tell me anything about them and what they are worth?
    Husband and Daddy is my primary job, the other thing I do is for money.
    www.blackswampwoodturning.webs.com

I have a set of those that I got with my Shopsmith years ago. Sold the Shopsmith but kept those. They are probably far from the best but they work Ok.
    I only turn a few pens from time to time. They would be a decent deal if under $40.
    So Mote It Be

I also have this set of lathe tools that came with my shopsmith that I purchased about 18 years or so ago. The set when not on sale can be purchased for around $90. I have seen them on ebay for less. I still use them and they perform well. They are not a HSS steel so need to be sharpened more often but all in all, I do not have any issues with them.