Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New wood stash and drying wood

New wood stash and drying wood

I am borrowing my inlaws Lucas Mill portable sawmill for a few months so I cutting up a storm right now. I cut down 5 trees last saturday and I am cutting them into boards as I have time. Here are some pics. I cut up 3 beech logs(1 tree) and 1 sugar maple log. I don't have pics of the maple but its nice, there is some spalting in it, or maybe its just staining where bugs went in the log in either case it will make some nice stuff. Here is where my drying question comes in. I want to make a snare drum out of some of the maple but right now its really wet. I was planing on air drying the wood but I would like to use some long before its dry. I have heard something about being able to dry wood in the oven. Does anyone have any experience with doing that. I don't need big pieces so the would fit in the oven.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sep15_0001.jpg   Sep16_0001.jpg   Sep16_0002.jpg   Sep17_0001.jpg  

Hi Dave,

Wood (pun intended) you have any offcut chunks from the beech? I would like to make a few planes and some handles.

We don't grow American Beech here in south Florida!
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Hi Dave,

Wood (pun intended) you have any offcut chunks from the beech? I would like to make a few planes and some handles.

We don't grow American Beech here in south Florida!
    I do, but they are not very big, what size are you looking for?

Lightbulb

Hi Dave,

Since USPS says:
    Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box (FRB2) $10.70 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"
    How about:
    1 @ 18" L x 3.25" W x 3.25" H
    2 @ 12" L X 3.25" W x 3.25" H
    x @ x" L X 3.25" W x 3.25" H

or what would fit in the box.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Dave, depending on the size/amount of wood wanted dried soon, a solar drier? Some sort of box, metal, painted dull black on inside, glass pointed towards sun at longest period of the day, measure inside high temps and see what you get, keep a record on moisture of the wood. Gets to the point you can use, remove and acclimate to the area you are going to use it in.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The best way to dry it yourself, or perhaps I should say the "Easiest" way is just air dry it. Stack it where it gets good air movement, but not direct sunlight, the tops and sides of the stacks can be covered, but not the ends, to allow air to move. make your stickers 3/4" square, and place them every foot, make sure the stickers all line up with the one above and below it. Put some weight on top of it, does not need to be that much.

The whole solar kiln is actually quite complex to do it right, you have to have heat from the sun to raise the temp in the kiln, this will make more water from the wood evaporate, but then, when it gets to a certain high humidity, you have to exchange the air in the kiln. Take the hot humid air out, replace it with cool dry air, close it up and start again, that is how a solar kiln will more quickly dry out the wood. The problem is if you do this too fast, the wood will check and crack, if you do it too slow, you will get mold. If you really, really need the wood in a hurry, find a local wood supplier who will rent you space in their kiln on the next run, otherwise, I'd advise to just air dry it and wait.

Nice looking wood for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Agree/disagree about the solar kiln. Do searches, the design can be very simple. What is essential are a couple small fans to keep air moving.
    Not said, do seal the ends, preferably with Anchorseal.
    Congrats on the big haul.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Hi Dave,

Since USPS says:

How about:
    1 @ 18" L x 3.25" W x 3.25" H
    2 @ 12" L X 3.25" W x 3.25" H
    x @ x" L X 3.25" W x 3.25" H

or what would fit in the box.
    I don't have anything 3x3. When I was cutting up the log if I couldn't get a full board out of a section I cut stickers out of it. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    The best way to dry it yourself, or perhaps I should say the "Easiest" way is just air dry it. Stack it where it gets good air movement, but not direct sunlight, the tops and sides of the stacks can be covered, but not the ends, to allow air to move. make your stickers 3/4" square, and place them every foot, make sure the stickers all line up with the one above and below it. Put some weight on top of it, does not need to be that much.

The whole solar kiln is actually quite complex to do it right, you have to have heat from the sun to raise the temp in the kiln, this will make more water from the wood evaporate, but then, when it gets to a certain high humidity, you have to exchange the air in the kiln. Take the hot humid air out, replace it with cool dry air, close it up and start again, that is how a solar kiln will more quickly dry out the wood. The problem is if you do this too fast, the wood will check and crack, if you do it too slow, you will get mold. If you really, really need the wood in a hurry, find a local wood supplier who will rent you space in their kiln on the next run, otherwise, I'd advise to just air dry it and wait.

Nice looking wood for sure!
    I am going to air dry most of the wood but I am anxious to make a snare drum out of some of the maple. If I cut the board into 1' sections could I put them in the oven to dry them, I am sure I read somewhere about drying small pieces in an oven, but maybe it was just to do the old school moisture test

Dave, what are the dimensions of the wood you plan to use for the snare drum? Are you gluing up staves or turning it out of a solid piece?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com