By accident

Had to run to the Chevy dealer this morning. Figured while I was out and about I would look around. Hit all the flea markets and pawn shops. Seen some stuff, that I might return for later. Did find few items I couldn't leave without.

The usual 6-C type 13 I think.

DSCN0200.jpg

Wentworth saw vice, couldn't find any for a time, now I am tripping over them.

DSCN0201.jpg

The best find of the day. Stanley S4 type 14, I think.

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0199.jpg

When I was at the last place I ended up staying for about an hour talking to a couple venders. Had a blast. They told me of a big flea market coming up. I also gave them my contact info, in case they find more planes. Networking is good.

Isnt it always like that Steve. Same as when you throw something out, the next week or even day you need it.:rofl: Great finds. You a real good buyer. You sure you doing the right thing going to school for electrics when you should be doing procurment management.:D

you are definaitly one lucky guy finding these rascals,,,:D:thumb::thumb: if were you i would start looking for that pot of gold that every one says cant be found i think you got a shot at proving them wrong:):thumb::thumb: maybe you can stumble across a no. 1 in the box yet somewhere on a shelf for say 35 dollars:rofl::rofl:

Strange you mention the #1. One of the venders I was talking to had one, I think. He said he had a plane like the S4 but much smaller. About 4 or so inches long. Identical, except smaller. He picked it up at a flea market and cleaned it a bit. Turned around and sold it for...............$25. He said the guy just grabbed it and didn't look at it no more. Just grinned and paid. So it had to be either a #1 or #2 at that length. Now you know why I gave him my contact info. :thumb:

Cant really put a type number on the "S" series of planes, but from the SW logo on the blade, I'd guess the type 13 or 14 (for regular cast iron planes) time frame would be about right. By the mid 1930s, the rivets were gone. They were all made between 1926 and 1942.

What did you have to pay for it? Walters "Guide..." says the average price is somewhere twixt $100 & $300.