Ajustable & Fixed Back Chair

Ron Roase

I just got an order to make 3 chairs for the local school distric that are used for children that have medical problems with there backs. Thes chairs are for smaller children. I think 3 or 4 years of age. They are made from 1/2" baltic burch and 3/4" oak and 3/4" pine for the seat. I also made 2 sets of ajustable straps for each chair,one for the waist and one for the chest. This was atime consuming project on the first day as I always make templates for each piece that I make for them so If I have to make additional pieces I will have a blue print to follow.:thumb::rofl:2 Fixed 1 Ajust Chair.JPG

3 in a Row.JPG

Front view 2 fixed Chairs.JPG

Rear View .JPG

Rear view of Ajustable Chair.JPG

Ron, that is a really novel and cool idea. I saw your pics and had not read what it was about, bit knew straight off it had to have the purpose you mention.

I would think about expanding this idea if I were you. I am thinking back to my days helping out at a geriatric facility for the aged. They could certainly do with this kind of feature. There are probably expensive medical options available but a little expansion of what you have there would more than suffice and be more cost effective for them in times when they really all need to stretch their resources.

Some things that come to mind would be vacuum forming the back from laminations such that it has a curve in it. Adding a padding to the straps sort of like a harness with padding.

You should explore it there are other places i can think of that would be good targets for a sale. I dont know the NA name for all of these institutions but we had a place called Hamlet. It was for kids with down syndrome and other debilitating problems. The kids would stay in the facility and the old ones (working age) would have a workshop where they would get assembly work brought in to do. The issue was always being able to keep some of them upright and in their chairs. Not from a restraint point of view more from a physical ability aspect.

Great idea and well executed. If you do work for extra income i think you could have a nice niche with something like this. Well done.:thumb:

Ron, those are great! Congratulations to your school system for having you build them instead of buying some $10,000.00 chair from a company in who knows where. They in fact look like a good chair to make an outdoor lounge chair for little ones. I just find the chair a great project opportunity. :thumb::thumb:

Thanks Guys, I am hopeing to get many more orders from themI have made them tables and high-chairs with tray etc. I worked 3, seven and a half hour days on them. So I do my best and don't charge them that much $ 125.00 per chair and they seemed very happy with that.